Arla Foods HGV driver illegally on the phone and in a box junction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
summerdays said:
Did you see the traffic cop program tonight ... and what one driver did after being seen on his mobile phone!!!

I thought it was good that it was incorperated into a program about people committing crimes in cars.

I noticed though that the guy they filmed being pulled up (this isn't the same guy as the driver who rammed the cop car) was on his second pull for this offence in a month. Obviously not learning anything.

And, off topic, but those Driscoll brothers, jeez, they were scary drunk!

So you are saying it is ok to use a mobile while driving an artic?

Debian

User3143 is a disingenuous, evasive troll. His / her aim in life is to wind up as many people as possible.

(S)he, and others of his / her ilk are best ignored completely, don't respond at all, in any way to any comment (s)he makes.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Debian said:
User3143 is a disingenuous, evasive troll. His / her aim in life is to wind up as many people as possible.

(S)he, and others of his / her ilk are best ignored completely, don't respond at all, in any way to any comment (s)he makes.

Actually, whilst you might not like Lee's posting style, he is a human being, and quite a nice chap who rides rather well. Perhaps there's no need to be quite so nasty?

I can see where he's going with these comments, and there's no need for the angry and defensive responses.

Trouble is too many people feel the same out there...that is why we have an attitude that it's ok to use a mobile while driving even though they are 5h1t at it.

Then when the inevitable happens nobody takes any responsibility because it isn't their fault poor dears.

I just wonder about that tit who mildy left hooked me/cut me up today was on a mobile or faffing about or whether he couldn't give a toss anyway.

Jezston

Über Member
User3143 said:
No I'm not, remember who the more experienced driver here is as well please in respect of driving HGV's

EVERYONE

Remember, Lee is the more experienced driver here - in fact he is a VERY GOOD DRIVER - well above average in fact, and while most other drivers aren't good enough to drive safely and use a mobile / drink coffee / read map / paint nails whilst driving, Lee is a VERY GOOD DRIVER as is perfectly capable of doing these things.

You know, like all those other VERY GOOD DRIVERS who have killed people on the roads who came out of nowhere.

Jezston said:
EVERYONE

Remember, Lee is the more experienced driver here - in fact he is a VERY GOOD DRIVER - well above average in fact, and while most other drivers aren't good enough to drive safely and use a mobile / drink coffee / read map / paint nails whilst driving, Lee is a VERY GOOD DRIVER as is perfectly capable of doing these things.

You know, like all those other VERY GOOD DRIVERS who have killed people on the roads who came out of nowhere.
+1

gouldina

Jezston said:
EVERYONE

Yeah but how good is he really? Can he juggle whilst driving for example? Or do a cryptic crossword. Those would be the marks to me of a truly excellent driver.

:sad:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Having ridden with him, I'd say he's a better cyclist than average. No answer on the nasty posts towards Lee? Is it then OK for me to post at you like that, or would it be better if we all played a little bit more nicely?

BentMikey said:
Having ridden with him, I'd say he's a better cyclist than average. No answer on the nasty posts towards Lee? Is it then OK for me to post at you like that, or would it be better if we all played a little bit more nicely?

To be fair BM, Lee might be a good cyclist, he may be an amazing driver, he may even be able to drive using only his chin, but he does troll. There have been a number of occasions in the past where he has trolled on my threads. So I don't think someone suggesting Lee is a troll is nasty.

Sure he sometimes has something worth saying, but you have to filter out the flack. That is all in my opinion of course.

gouldina

BentMikey said:

I don't see what being a good cyclist has to do with it. The question is about whether it's safe to drive while on a mobile and he thinks it is because he's an experienced driver. Personally I think that's a ridiculous standpoint and doesn't stack up well against all the research I've seen reported.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

In this situation it's clear to me that the driver on his mobile wasn't reading the road ahead. If he was he'd have never entered the box junction in the first place as the road ahead was clearly rammed with stationary traffic.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You are misreading him, IMO.

And someone else's slightly less than good posting behaviour is an excellent excuse to be nasty, yes? Not that I'm perfect, but Lee has some valuable input.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Surely the point is that we all think that we are good drivers/cyclists/etc, you know those surveys where people rate themselves and the vast majority rate themselves as above average (defying the laws of maths:biggrin:). Laws are made for everyone rather than for us to decide to make that decision as to whether we are above that law.

Some drivers are definitely unable to drive and phone judging from the statistics and deaths caused by it.

BentMikey said:
You are misreading him, IMO.

And someone else's slightly less than good posting behaviour is an excellent excuse to be nasty, yes? Not that I'm perfect, but Lee has some valuable input.

BM, I honestly can see anywhere where anyone has been nasty to Lee. Certainly not in any way that Lee wouldn't be to others.

I'm a live and let live kinda guy and if I feel Lee is trolling I tend to exit the discussion. However, I can understand why he winds others up.

As you say, I'm sure he is a great guy in real life, and I am sure I'd enjoy a pint with him. However, I and others have on a number of occasions suggested to Lee that if he wants to make a point, it doesn't need to be done in a 'trolling' manner. He hasn't heeded that (his prerogative of course) but he should then understand why he annoys other posters.

IMO of course.

Top Bottom