Arla Foods HGV driver illegally on the phone and in a box junction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shippers

Sheffield_Tiger said:
Phone use IS going in the direction of drink-driving as a percieved anti-social activity but it will take much much longer to finally get there

I disagree- I think drink driving too ages to be seen as as a morally repugnant thing to do; decades in fact. Driving with a mobile phone has only been a phenonomen since the widespread ownership of mobile phones- 10 years or so, and it's already on the way out.
Have you also noticed that people are driving slower? 5 years ago, if you drove at 70 on the motorway everything would shoot past you- I'm not saying that nothing passes you now, but you're not the berk holding the traffic up anymore!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
shippers said:
Have you also noticed that people are driving slower? 5 years ago, if you drove at 70 on the motorway everything would shoot past you- I'm not saying that nothing passes you now, but you're not the berk holding the traffic up anymore!

Not around here they dont. I've measured out the distance and timed drivers on certain roads and they're definately going above the limit by an average of 6mph on the slower roads, and I've seen them shoot past when I'm a passenger in the family car - looking at the speedo and seeing it say 70-75 I'm guessing a good proportion of other drivers are doing 80-95 down here in Hampshire.

"Rush hour" is a different story entirely obviously.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Did you see the traffic cop program tonight ... and what one driver did after being seen on his mobile phone!!!

I thought it was good that it was incorperated into a program about people committing crimes in cars.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Vikeonabike said:
Driver decided he didn't want his 3 points rammed the police car several times before reversing into it so hard he drove onto the roof....Cop was still in the car at the time....Driver got 6 years.
Traffic cops...

As the kids say "Epic". Serves the w***er right. :angry:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I think the main issue here is that mobile phone usage is distracting and to such a level that it compares to driving under the influence. I couldnt care less how equiped a vehicle is, its the driver that matters. :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
User3143 said:
Most evasive action is done by using the brakes. You are high up in the cab as well so can read the road a lot more to mitigate any 'evasive action' that you may have to take.

Well, being "high up in a cab" should have allowed him ample time to notice the road markings. (What's the law say about those diagonal yellow lines painted onto the road surface that he's parked on?)

He seems to have missed them until the last moment. Possible that "evasive action" would have to be taken. By others as well as himself.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
User3143 said:
Can you prove from the photo that he was stationary and not moving? Moving=Not breaking the law.

They wouldn't need to, they'd just need to demonstrate that there wasn't a clear exit.

As a larger vehicle I think there needs to be a bit of give and take on yellow boxes, that is after all one reason why they are there, but the phone use is inexcusable.

jay clock

Massive member
A ticket can only be issued if the vehicle is stationary.
rubbish. I suppose you are right in that discussing the transgression with a driver in a moving vehicle will be tough, but the offence is entering the box when the exit is not clear. So you could easily be edging forwards behind another roaduser, never stopping but failing to wait until you had a space to drive into beyond the box. Unless turning right of course!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
My brother (the idiot) was found using a mobile whilst driving a lorry, and got a 2 week ban.

He took responsibility for it and served his time (and the loss of earnings). Maybe a short ban might work for all vehicles?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
User3143 said:
2 weeks? Was this is a conviction? Because I would have thought that under the insurance policy of the company he works for he would not be allowed to drive.:smile:

It was ministry imposed?

I don't know, he did say, but I have more interesting things in life to concentrate on - like bikes, beer, Time Trialling, women, sex, bikes, touring, races, tyres, bikes women, sex and gardening.

Top Bottom