arm muscles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jane Smart

The Queen
Hi

another of my silly questions, but I have cycled 130 miles in 9 days and I am new to cycling. Not been on a bike for 34 years.

anyway, I am sure I notice my arms toning up? Is that possible?

I hang onto the handle bars for grim death though, but what is the opinion? Do arms get a work out too?

:blush:

Would love to know if anyone else has noticed this?

Tynan

Veteran
yes, all over and as you lose fat the regular muscles that were there all long show through

no reason to be hanging on to the bars like that though, ponder your sadlle height and position

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
My right arm muscles have got a lot stronger from carting my trike around, lifting it on and off trains, dragging it behind me when I have to walk, etc. Not sure if you do any lifting/carrying of your bike but that might account for a little muscle development.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I found my arm mucles werent so good when i was riding geared, but built up abit after riding fixed for a while.
They did build up more when i was in the gym though, but sadly my free gym membership went out so now thats it, they are going smaller again, but not much smaller!:blush:
My forearms are still pretty good though from braking, and my shoulders are decent aswell. My arms are pretty weedy though compared to some other peoples arms.
I look well weird in the shadow, big legs and skinny arms:wacko::biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Look at the pro-riders, all's good except their arms which are generally scrawney looking.
Cycling does excercise the arms, but not hugely, in fact in general everyday riding there should not be that much work for the arms to do unless your not in the best position on the bike. Bars do not need holding onto for grim death... more a place to rest ones mitts. There are exceptions, climbing hills especially standing will work the arms as will a lot of descending or stop-stary traffic cycling where a lot of hauling on the brakes is required. But mostly I suspect what you are witnessing is an improvement in overall body tone and possible fat reduction.

OP
OP
Jane Smart

Jane Smart

The Queen
Hi

thanks for the answers. I have lost weight since I started to cycle, about 10lb I think so that is probably what I am noticing, rather than my arms getting toned up ;)

I also need to relax on the bike and not have the white knuckles :biggrin: I will get there though.

Todays exercise is to take one hand off the handle bar, to practice my hand signals. I am pretty crap when it comes to that :smile:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Joe24 said:
I found my arm mucles werent so good when i was riding geared, but built up abit after riding fixed for a while.
I found something quite similar when I started using much bigger gears on my commuter bike than I was used to. Especially trying to accelerate or pull away from lights in an 80" or so, I can feel it in my arms trying to hold the bike steady while I push the pedals

(This may not be the most efficient way to ride a bike. It's skating cross-training)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Jane Smart said:
Todays exercise is to take one hand off the handle bar, to practice my hand signals. I am pretty crap when it comes to that ;)

Just keep practising and it soon improves :biggrin:

However I would like to know some arm strengthening exercises as I don't seem to have lost muscle after I broke my arm (back in Feb) - my sister even commented on it.

jimboalee

When you have to lift your bike, try to alternate between the right and left index finger.

Unequal biceps and delts is not proper form :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Jane Smart

Jane Smart

The Queen
Well I just came back from a tough bike ride, for any locals here Inverkeithing to Burntisland ( well tough at my stage just now) and I really felt my arm muscles working, it was very rocky and very hilly in places, so I really did need to hold on tight :laugh:

I did 18 miles in total and albeit I did 22 yesterday, todays 18 miler was much tougher! Definately one I will be doing again soon ;)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Jane Smart said:
Hi

another of my silly questions, but I have cycled 130 miles in 9 days and I am new to cycling. Not been on a bike for 34 years.

anyway, I am sure I notice my arms toning up? Is that possible?

I hang onto the handle bars for grim death though, but what is the opinion? Do arms get a work out too?

:blush:

Would love to know if anyone else has noticed this?

I started cycling about 5 months ago after not doing any real exercise for 20 odd years.At first my arms and shoulders were hurting as much as my legs.I have done 50 to 60 miles per week since then and now no aches at all in arms and shoulders and legs are much much stronger.(also lost 2 stone along the way:smile:)

So i think that yes cycling does strengthen your arms a bit.

Like you I used to hold the hand grips far too tightly to the point of cutting off the blood supply, you have to make a concious effort to relax ,I have found that concentrating on relaxing my leg muscles helps spinning up hills,how you can relax a muscle thats working hard I dont know but it really seems to work for me.

Good luck

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Jane Smart said:
Well I just came back from a tough bike ride, for any locals here Inverkeithing to Burntisland ( well tough at my stage just now) and I really felt my arm muscles working, it was very rocky and very hilly in places, so I really did need to hold on tight B)

I did 18 miles in total and albeit I did 22 yesterday, todays 18 miler was much tougher! Definately one I will be doing again soon :biggrin:
Sounds like you're ready for the next CC Scotland Forum ride (you know where the thread is ... :biggrin:)

Top Bottom