Armadillo tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickGayle

Regular
Someone at work recommended Armadillo tyres to me today. His words were " the closest thing to puncture free cycling" Has anyone any experience with these tyres and would they recommend them?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes I would recommend them. I commuted on the mean streets of SE London for 5 years on them. I went through 3 pairs. They are a little slow rolling, but once up to a bit of speed roll along nicely.

They are very good tyres, though not entirely puncture proof.
The closest tyres to puncture proof would be Marathon Plus.

But as with all tyres, look after them and they will look after you.
Get in the habit of checking your tyres before and after every ride. Especially after wet weather riding.
Dig out any little bit of glass, flint, stone etc that could work it's way in.

Also have had a set. Inner tube rubber perished causing my first flat before any got through them - I needed protection from some odd shrapnel such as ammunition cases and also drawing pins (worked in a school for the later and lived on & cycled across an MOD training area for the former). worked wonders - the tyres that is...

Also have had a set. Inner tube rubber perished causing my first flat before any got through them - I needed protection from some odd shrapnel such as ammunition cases and also drawing pins (worked in a school for the later and lived on & cycled across an MOD training area for the former). worked wonders - the tyres that is...
Quite literally bomb proof then?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
glasgowjim recommended these to me earlier this year. He has used them for commuting and many audaxes and reckons they are bullet- (though not necessarily bomb- ;)) proof. ^_^

They are also deeper than other tyres - their 23s are much the same as other 25s. I haven't had them on long enough to be able to judge their durability but their comfort is good. I usually run 25s but am very happy with the Armadillo Elite 23s.

I found them very durable, probably too durable and I probably kept them on longer than I should have and they came a bit too skittish in the wet, but then again perhaps my bike handling has improved since then and any tyre would have seemed that way at the time :wacko:

Top Bottom