Armstrong charged and banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency brought formal doping charges against former cyclist Lance Armstrong in an action that could cost him his seven Tour de France titles, according to a letter sent to Armstrong and several others Tuesday. As a result of the formal charges, Armstrong has been immediately banned from competition in triathlons, a sport he took up after his retirement from cycling in 2011

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...s-from-usada/2012/06/13/gJQAefnPaV_story.html

Well, I had to come back for this didn't I? ;)

Beer anyone?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
This has come as great shock to me. I really had no idea that Saint Lance of Oneball was a cheating toerag.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
This will drag on a few more years yet and then probably nothing come of it, just like the other attempts. If you believed he doped or not, it really is a circus now. They need to definitively ban and strip him of his title or leave it alone forever. I think everyone is sick and tired of this now.

Also I'm not sure I agree with the ban from Triathlons and Ironmans, simply as I believe in innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, which has not happened yet.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Also I'm not sure I agree with the ban from Triathlons and Ironmans, simply as I believe in innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, which has not happened yet.

Why do people keep referring to conventional law as if it has anything to do with WADA (or UASDA) rules and procedures?

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Why do people keep referring to conventional law as if it has anything to do with WADA (or UASDA) rules and procedures?

Just stating that I don't like the idea of a ban before the sentence. Seems a bit arse about face to me, and punishes someone excessively if they end up being proven innocent (especially if it's their main income source). Of course it's not the same as criminal law, but it seems very heartless.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Just stating that I don't like the idea of a ban before the sentence. Seems a bit arse about face to me, and punishes someone excessively if they end up being proven innocent (especially if it's their main income source). Of course it's not the same as criminal law, but it seems very heartless.

Heartless? We're talking about Lance Armstrong here - the guy who has been involved in a systematic deception and been utterly ruthless towards anyone who tried to speak out about it. He's the very definition of heartless.

This is like one of those Ghost Train fairground rides where all the skellingtons pop out.

Hard to know what to think. Every time I hope he's going to be exposed, it all comes to nought. Anyone left to bring charges if this one goes pear shaped?

I'm betting the blabbing has started and to hell with the statute of limitations, he will continue to deny because what else can he do? Boy has he painted himself into a corner or what. I am so happy for all those people who he bullied, threatened and cheated.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
He clearly had wind of this as he said he wouldn't fight any new revelations and accusations a few weeks ago.

OP
OP
Y

yello

he will continue to deny

Indeed he does...

I have never doped, and, unlike many of my accusers, I have competed as an endurance athlete for 25 years with no spike in performance, passed more than 500 drug tests and never failed one.
http://lancearmstrong.com/news-events/lance-armstrong-responds-to-usada-allegation

I reckon this one's going to stick Crackle. I reckon the Feds handed over some of the evidence, maybe testimony taken under oath. 10+ witnesses... want to have a guess who they'll be. The recently retired 'big George' perhaps?

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Heartless? We're talking about Lance Armstrong here - the guy who has been involved in a systematic deception and been utterly ruthless towards anyone who tried to speak out about it. He's the very definition of heartless.

By heartless I was actually referring to non millionaire athletes who get a ban because of a charge and are then proven to be innocent. If the sport and winnings are their major source of income then a protracted ban whilst the case goes through could lead to financial ruin, family breakup etc etc. this to me is heartless as the athlete had no way of supporting themselves and no means to earn to pay for their defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom