Armstrong coming back for the 2009 TdF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Blue said:
I know. I was a fan/viewer long before the LA era and continued to so be since. I couldn't give a choughs ass if LA rides or not, as such. I just think that he hasn't been replaced and we need a 'cult' figure. Without a new icon, the old one will have to do.

My point, from my original post, was that people want to see the "likes of Armstrong". My point from my subsequent posts was that we haven't seen his like since he left. I think a lot of people watch the Tour for the spectacle as much as the 'race'.

I just enjoy expressing my opinion and I have now done that so I'll say no more on the subject.

LA is one of the biggest cults I know!
The Tour is not just about one man - never has been and never will be. It's not just about winners. Think of all the journeymen cyclists who don't have a hope of winning but they are there year after year.
There is not one icon in the Tour every year but many. Riders who go off on a long, lone break and get reeled in with a few miles to go, riders who crash badly and not only finish the race but go on to finish the Tour.
There are riders we remember, not for winning but for other reasons. Without the aid of Google, what is Giuseppe Guerini remembered for? Who crashed into the French policeman at a finish in Armentières?

yello

Blue said:
Without a new icon, the old one will have to do.

One will come along. The tour has had lean years before!

Tete, you raise a valid point and it's made me think. The tour can withstand LA's ego... no doubt there have been others with similarly over inflated self opinions in the past. I should trust in the tour! You've made me realise that I was primarily being motivated by a dislike of LA. I've changed that stance. I now don't mind whether LA rides or not, I'll watch whoever is there, because I'm watching the tour not any one rider...

but I reserve the right to smile if he gets his arse kicked!! ;)

Noodley

mr_hippo said:
...what is Giuseppe Guerini remembered for? Who crashed into the French policeman at a finish in Armentières?

He hit a photographer near the end of the Alpe d"Huez stage in the late 1990s (1999?) but won the stage anyway.

Can't remember the name of the rider in Armentieres, but IIRC it was Jalabert who came out worst from it - his face was fairly smashed up :ohmy:

And your never mentioned Abdoujaparov's crash ;)

Tetedelacourse

yello said:
One will come along. The tour has had lean years before!

Tete, you raise a valid point and it's made me think. The tour can withstand LA's ego... no doubt there have been others with similarly over inflated self opinions in the past. I should trust in the tour! You've made me realise that I was primarily being motivated by a dislike of LA. I've changed that stance. I now don't mind whether LA rides or not, I'll watch whoever is there, because I'm watching the tour not any one rider...

but I reserve the right to smile if he gets his arse kicked!! :biggrin:

cool:smile:

I'll be smiling too if he gets ripped next year.:ohmy:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Noodley said:
He hit a photographer near the end of the Alpe d"Huez stage in the late 1990s (1999?) but won the stage anyway.
He was brought down by the spectator Erik the German - L'Alpe d'Huez 1999
Can't remember the name of the rider in Armentieres, but IIRC it was Jalabert who came out worst from it - his face was fairly smashed up :thumbsup:
Jalabert did come off worse but it was Wilfried Nelissen who collided with Insp Clousseau.
And your never mentioned Abdoujaparov's crash :blush:
I never mentioned Abou's crash and many other incidents incl. the Robert Millar detour!

robbowatson

Just a quick thought, but is Lance being a touch more media savvy than we think? For instance, is he going to use his links with Nike and Trek to perhaps start his own team in time for 2009??

Given the single bloody mindlessness of this bullying Texan (IMO Texan is an insult here, I mean look at Bush he's Texan too!), is it not beyond the realms of possibility???

Haitch

Flim Flormally
robbowatson said:
Just a quick thought, but is Lance being a touch more media savvy than we think? For instance, is he going to use his links with Nike and Trek to perhaps start his own team in time for 2009??

If Armstrong is coming back to promote his cancer charity work, I would be surprised if he joined an existing team rather than handpick his own riders and designed the team shirts.

Top Bottom