Armstrong coming back for the 2009 TdF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
What would be his motivation to do this? Posting his Drug Test Results online would not alleviate suspicion about his 7 wins and riding for Astana as well what a surprise I am sure Contador will move over for him. Or is this a ploy by Astana to make sure they get an entry?

For the sake of the Sport and the Tour I hope he stays away.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
mondobongo said:
What would be his motivation to do this? Posting his Drug Test Results online would not alleviate suspicion about his 7 wins and riding for Astana as well what a surprise I am sure Contador will move over for him. Or is this a ploy by Astana to make sure they get an entry?

For the sake of the Sport and the Tour I hope he stays away.

That's what I thought, we hardly need a Tour that is headlined by him ... but a story like this comes out before every Tour anyways.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
From a trailer for the Larry King chat show on CNN
Larry King: "Have you ever taken an illegal substance?"
Lance Armstrong: "I have never doped!"
That sounds similar to:-
Larry King: "Have you ever drunk alcohol?"
Mr Hippo: "I have never had a Stella."
Lance will 'race for no salary or bonuses and post his internally tested blood work online.' I think I have just seen a pig flying at about 2000 feet above my house! If he is now willing to publish internally tested blood work, why didn't he do that when the rumours were at their height? Has he found a different untraceable substance?
Yes, I know he won the Tour de France seven times but what about the Giro d'Italia, Veulta a Espagne and the Spring Classics? Compare his record with that of Eddie Merck - both active at the same ages. Would Merckx have won more TdFs if he only concentrated on that one race? Would Armstrong have won less TdFs if he entered more races?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
mr_hippo said:
From a trailer for the Larry King chat show on CNN
Larry King: "Have you ever taken an illegal substance?"
Lance Armstrong: "I have never doped!"
That sounds similar to:-
Larry King: "Have you ever drunk alcohol?"
Mr Hippo: "I have never had a Stella."
Lance will 'race for no salary or bonuses and post his internally tested blood work online.' I think I have just seen a pig flying at about 2000 feet above my house! If he is now willing to publish internally tested blood work, why didn't he do that when the rumours were at their height? Has he found a different untraceable substance?
Yes, I know he won the Tour de France seven times but what about the Giro d'Italia, Veulta a Espagne and the Spring Classics? Compare his record with that of Eddie Merck - both active at the same ages. Would Merckx have won more TdFs if he only concentrated on that one race? Would Armstrong have won less TdFs if he entered more races?

I'm no great LA fan but dope is dope in my book. You seem to easily misconstrue what most people would think was a straight answer. Whether or not you believe the answer is up to you.

Why are you comparing his record with others? He won 7 tours irrespective of whether he was better than Merckx. Different times, different ambitions. Was Rod Laver better than Roger Federer? Who cares and who can say?

rich p said:
I'm no great LA fan but dope is dope in my book. You seem to easily misconstrue what most people would think was a straight answer. Whether or not you believe the answer is up to you.

Why are you comparing his record with others? He won 7 tours irrespective of whether he was better than Merckx. Different times, different ambitions. Was Rod Laver better than Roger Federer? Who cares and who can say?
When it comes to dope, answers have to be straighter than straight. Too many riders have wriggled like fish on hooks when asked perfectly straight questions. Remember Virenque? Remember Landis? And all the rest...

Lance's record is often compared disparagingly to the other greats for precisely the reasons that Mr Hippo states. The other standard comment is that if Merckx had focussed on the Tour exclusively then he would have won many more. Standard bar-room cycling discussion fare.

Hey, with luck we'll have Lance racing against Landis, Basso and Rasmussen! Won't that be nice?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Lance was a top rider at a time when all top riders were doping some way or another

he must have been doping.

it seems most likely that he had enough cash to make sure he never got caught out

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Chuffy said:
When it comes to dope, answers have to be straighter than straight. Too many riders have wriggled like fish on hooks when asked perfectly straight questions. Remember Virenque? Remember Landis? And all the rest...

Lance's record is often compared disparagingly to the other greats for precisely the reasons that Mr Hippo states. The other standard comment is that if Merckx had focussed on the Tour exclusively then he would have won many more. Standard bar-room cycling discussion fare.

Hey, with luck we'll have Lance racing against Landis, Basso and Rasmussen! Won't that be nice?

That's my point I think! He didn't wriggle. He said he never doped - a straight answer but whether you believe it or not is up to you. I personally don't believe it but I think too much is read into his statement.

I also don't wish to see him back in the Tdf.

papercorn2000

I wouldn't like to see him come back. If he did, I couldn't see him as a contender - possibly a super domestique like Roche, Bernard or Delgado in the latter stages of their careers, otherwise...

llanberispass

He will only come back if thinks he is going to win.

My bet is he:

1. Gets fit (didnt he do well in some mountain bike race recently)

2. Rides his favourite training ride, sees he is not far off his best time.

3. The adrenaline gets going and he just can't resist having one more shot at it.

The only problem I see is that may be a few one off training rides are not the same as 21 days - but knowing Lance he will have probably simulated this already.

Not sure the French public will give him an easy ride, they used to hate him enough before.

And I was so glad when he gave up and we had a more open Tour...

Top Bottom