Armstrong coming back for the 2009 TdF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member

Mr Phoebus

Just as the cycling commentators were finally not quoting his name every few minutes on the cycling broadcasts as well.
Oh, well. ;)

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
zimzum42 said:
Lance was a top rider at a time when all top riders were doping some way or another

he must have been doping.

it seems most likely that he had enough cash to make sure he never got caught out

So your basing he must be doping because everyone else was? That isn't a real good reason ... I'm still sat on the fence for whethere he is or not, but that's not my point anyways.

If he comes back ... it will be interesting to say the least.

yello

Is it April 1 already?

Someone's 'aving a larf... I mean

compete in five road races, including the Tour de France.

"compete" in 5 races... when's LA done that? Turn up maybe, as a training ride, but compete? Nah! He wasn't doing that for the last x years so he's not about to start doing it at the age of 37/38!

yello

Dayvo said:
Seems like a lot of people have forgotten that LA was the world champion in 1993.

Sorry, I'm baffled. What do you mean Dayvo?

mondobongo

Über Member
He did used to race in other races and yes he was World Champion in 1993 he also won Fleche Wallonne in 1996 whilst its not a monument it is still a Spring Classic and a big race to win. I t was only later in his career that the Tour became sole focus.

Don't forget that a couple of those races he is rumoured to want to race are ASO events and that he may not be welcome. It is rumoured that Astana were knocked back by ASO this year not so much as to Astanas history but that it was Bruyneel they wanted to get and they now had the opportunity.

yello

Has anyone read any of the comments on the article? This one made me smile....

all of my climbing might not be long but some have gradients of 22-23% for 1/4 or 1/2 mile. yesterday took a rode from Neosho MO that was all climbing, tried to keep large chain ring entire time but when i dropped to 85 had to go the 37 tooth.

The guy should be riding the TdF!

Yes, I appreciate LA won other events earlier in his career but it was his recent year focus I was referring to that makes it unlikely, imho, that he'd agree to a 5 competition a year come back. It's a moot point anyway, this story ain't nought but some out of control rumour... again imho!

yello said:
Sorry, I'm baffled. What do you mean Dayvo?

No major significance to it, yello; just that LA wasn't just a flash in the pan at the Tour; he was a world champion at the age of 21.

From (albeit) wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Armstrong#Early_career

and had major victories before all the TdeF victories, in which many cycling fans have accused him of doping, despite there being a total lack of evidence.

If he was a complete nobody and won consecutive TdeF then, yes, it would appear suspicious, but LA's potential and calibre was there for all to see, before his first tour win, and before his illness.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Could it just be that he is bored being away from the pro ranks and the lure of bike racing is too strong?? His personal life hasn't been too hot since his break up with Ms Crowe, allegedly for still training .

zimzum42

Legendary Member
For me, that's the point, he won a load of races at a time when everyone was doping, the time before his TdF victories.....

My favourite rider was Big Mig, he was never shown to be doping, but he probably was. Doesn't mean he wasn't an amazing rider.....

Top Bottom