Arran, then Claonaig to Campbeltownn- what's the Kintyre route like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
For a while I've been thinking about taking a day trip which involved the Ardrossan-Campbeltown ferry. However, the timings are not brilliant for me - there's only one ferry a day, 4 days a week, and normally at the wrong end of the day for me.

But there seems to be one option - the Sunday ferries are different timings, so there's a potential loop.

Leave Ardrossan on the first ferry - which is 09:45 on a Sunday - arriving Brodick 10.40.
You've then got an hour or so to get up the coast to Lochranza (Yes, I know there's a big hilll!) to catch the 12.00, arriving Claonaig at 12.30.

Then Claonaig-Campbeltown, following the National Cycle Network route 78 (the B842)

And then the 16.55 ferry back to Ardrossan, arriving 19.35.

I've done the Arran bit before, but not the Kintyre section.

What's the road from Claonaig to Campbeltown like? Strava suggests it's a touch lumpy....
Anywhere on that route for a coffee and cake?

For a while I've been thinking about taking a day trip which involved the Ardrossan-Campbeltown ferry. However, the timings are not brilliant for me - there's only one ferry a day, 4 days a week, and normally at the wrong end of the day for me.

But there seems to be one option - the Sunday ferries are different timings, so there's a potential loop.

Leave Ardrossan on the first ferry - which is 09:45 on a Sunday - arriving Brodick 10.40.
You've then got an hour or so to get up the coast to Lochranza (Yes, I know there's a big hilll!) to catch the 12.00, arriving Claonaig at 12.30.

Then Claonaig-Campbeltown, following the National Cycle Network route 78 (the B842)

And then the 16.55 ferry back to Ardrossan, arriving 19.35.

I've done the Arran bit before, but not the Kintyre section.

What's the road from Claonaig to Campbeltown like? Strava suggests it's a touch lumpy....
Anywhere on that route for a coffee and cake?
I can't help with the specifics but https://cycle.travel/map will show the route and elevation profile. Click on spots along the route to use Google Street view.
Perhaps Google Maps or Osmand can show likely coffee stops but you never can tell^_^
You may also be able to search RideWithGPS for other's routes. Some folk include all the detail like coffee stops.

I love ferries but they can be pernickity! I once arrived at a crossing to discover the next ferry was in a couple of months!^_^

Good luck!

Daviemore

Regular
Looks like a good wee trip though you will probably spend longer on the ferries than the bike? The Campbeltown ferry wasnt running when I was there so I just cycled back up the other side which was a lot busier but also a lot faster.
Yes, its lumpy. No major climbs but lots of shortish energy sapping ones, and some short sharp downhills, so you never get much speed up. Cant remember what the surface was like so it cant have been too bad.
Tearoom and pub in Carradale village, and a newish not yet visited cafe at Torrisdale distillery.
Hope that helps.

Slick

Guru
The B842 is about as lumpy as you could get but definitely safer. Depending on your mood, I think I would be tempted by the main road which still has some decent hills but at least there's a few flat miles that will give you a break as well as a number of opportunities cake stops whereas the Skipness road has zero that I can think of from the top of my head since the bakery closed in Carradale and there's not even a shop in Peninver so it would be Campbeltown before you really saw civilisation again. That suits quite a lot of people though so I would be interested in hearing what you decide. Either way, sounds like a great day out.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
In September 1995 I spent a week in the west of Arran on an extended family holiday. I escaped one day and did this ride:

I remember it as an almost completely calm day, which helped, and I would say that every moment of that ride was unmissable.

So if you can only ride one side of the Kintyre peninsula, I'd say it's a tough choice. But I would say the standout highlight was the lower section of the A83 as it becomes ever more open to the Atlantic. I'm not sure what the word for it is, but there was a kind of diffuse mist forming and hanging in the air as the sea met the land - quite breathtaking. No doubt there was some traffic but I don't remember it as being intrusive.

On the eastern side there is not the same sense of being on the edge of the open ocean. I was well psyched up for the challenge but in the event it was less intimidating than Ordnance Survey suggests. I couldn't do it now (especially with a low of 42/28 :eek:) but if you're OK with shortish spells of 15-20% it will be enjoyable. The profile above clearly implies that the biggest challenges lay elsewhere.

As an aside, there is another closed loop available south of Campbeltown which looks like a lot of fun. I didn't consider that when I was there, and you can't always do everything. But if you've gone that far anyway it's worth thinking about.

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
Thanks for the advice so far - keep it coming!

@Aravis - I live about 3 miles from the Ardrossan ferry. Unfortunately, most of the ferries to Campbeltown leave Ardrossan in the evening, and return early morning - so not ideal for a "day trip" on Kintyre, needs an overnight stay. The sunday ferry is the one exception. leaving Kintyre at 5pm.

tinywheels

Über Member
the kintyre peninsula is a place I know well. there are unrivalled views both sides. However the Atlantic side offers more scope for pitstops. I am astounded more people have not ridden around here. campbeltown offers a fair selection of places to stop in , plus a good night out with the locals.do it now, you will not regret it. I've ridden all over the it. it's a top destination.

tinywheels

Über Member
update
just back from Kintyre
they have resurfaced the carradale side,and it's now a joy to traverse. :laugh:
I cannot recommend this route enough.

Top Bottom