Arrggghhhhhh!!!! Can't get ITV4!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My father in law has a sony tv with in build freeview. he lost some channels.. re tuning never brought them back.. on a hunch I deleted a channel he was receiving, then retuned the TV.. This brought back all the channels. Maybe something to try.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What transmitter are you receiving from? With that information, we could look up whether you are on Freeview Lite.

Most of the properties in Hebden Bridge do not have line of sight to the Emley Moor transmitter so we get our signals from a local relay station which serves us the aforementioned Freeview Lite. I wasn't happy when I discovered that that was the reason for my missing channels. Like you, I wanted ITV4 for the cycling coverage and I was looking forward to getting Film4 too.

The regulator accepted the argument that it was "not cost-effective" to broadcast a full service from all relay stations but it has led to the situation where we are all forced to pay the same licence fee, but we don't all get the same service. Not good ...

If you are talking about the old analogue service (which I enjoyed free for over 10 years) ... it is too late - they finally switched it off in April! :sad:

There is a free to air German Eurosport digital channel - with luck you keep the old analogue dish and lnb and just get a cheapy Digi Sat Receiver and hey presto. The only downer is that everything is in German.

TVC

No ITV4? Well you won't have heard of the Tour Series then, or some of the Classics they have been showing. :whistle:

ColinJ

There is a free to air German Eurosport digital channel - with luck you keep the old analogue dish and lnb and just get a cheapy Digi Sat Receiver and hey presto. The only downer is that everything is in German.
Ah, interesting ...

Mind you, I think the German commentary would do my head in. I used to watch some German coverage on DSF and '1'. My German isn't that great, but what really got me was the monotonal voices of the commentators.

I was watching one race where there was a huge pile up but you wouldn't have known by the way they were speaking.

Commentator 1 (Actually in German, of course): Oh look, several cyclists on the descent at 70 km/h crashed have.

Commentator 2: Ja, this I observed have and it not good is.

Commentator 1: Radsport a tough game is.

Commentator 2: Ja.

Commentator 1: Do you consider it possible for them, back to the peloton to return?

Commentator 2: Nein.

Commentator 1: Oh well, this very unfortunate is. Perhaps, in tomorrow's stage, something more interesting occur will?

Commentator 2: Ach, ja ...

Sorry - did I doze off! :wacko:

ColinJ

No ITV4? Well you won't have heard of the Tour Series then, or some of the Classics they have been showing. :whistle:
itv.com, they show all the channels live… was watching itv4 the other night on the laptop so i could watch two matches at once…
Thanks for that - I completely forgot about ITV Player! I just tried it out and there were a few glitches, but when I got it working the picture quality was pretty good. I will be watching the Tour series while I wait for the TDF to start.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 1901332, member: 45"]So we've signed up for the Sky Entertainment package. £300 for the year, but £100 back from Quidco and a £100 M&S voucher, so works out ok.

I can do without HD so that saves us another £10/month.

Does that make me sad, committing to Sky for a year just because I can't watch the Tour on Freeview?[/quote]

No.

I watched the TDF online from my desk last year . once it got going it was fine

fuji-stu

I paid for euro player on iPhone last year so I could keep up with the tour it was only 3 quid for the month

Svendo

Guru
[QUOTE 1901332, member: 45"]So we've signed up for the Sky Entertainment package. £300 for the year, but £100 back from Quidco and a £100 M&S voucher, so works out ok.

I can do without HD so that saves us another £10/month.

Does that make me sad, committing to Sky for a year just because I can't watch the Tour on Freeview?[/quote]

Extra £5/month gets entertainment extra with eurosport and lots more cycling.

SOrry if you know all of this already, if you do please ignore.
If you're thinking of changing your antenna, don't think that (physically) bigger is better, all bigger antenna's do is up the wind loading on the brackets & poles. If you're in a good signal area a Log Periodic comes highly recommended, if not then a Yagi18 should do the job. Make sure you use copper shielded co-ax and that it's double-shielded, 75 ohm. Connect the cable straight to the back of the TV rather than through a wall plate. Tha's it.

Svendo

Guru
SOrry if you know all of this already, if you do please ignore.
If you're thinking of changing your antenna, don't think that (physically) bigger is better, all bigger antenna's do is up the wind loading on the brackets & poles. If you're in a good signal area a Log Periodic comes highly recommended, if not then a Yagi18 should do the job. Make sure you use copper shielded co-ax and that it's double-shielded, 75 ohm. Connect the cable straight to the back of the TV rather than through a wall plate. Tha's it.

I've not found the site, but the ideal type of aerial also depends on the transmitter you're receiving from, whether you want a wide band one or a better narrow band one, and which band that ought to be.

Ah wait, just found it!

Apparently acording to this bloke even a lot of professionals don't give the best advice, but a one size fits all and possibly more-expensive-than-need-be advice. Now there's a suprise ;-)

And he also frequently states that RF (Radio Frequency) is black art, that sometimes installations that patently should work don't and vice-versa :wacko:
Should have said before that I was quoting from a website, but the bloke gives the impression he knows his stuff.
Then again he would, he's in Yorkshire ^_^ :thanks:

ColinJ

And he also frequently states that RF (Radio Frequency) is black art, that sometimes installations that patently should work don't and vice-versa :wacko:
Should have said before that I was quoting from a website, but the bloke gives the impression he knows his stuff.
He clearly does know his stuff, but it isn't true to say that RF is a black art - it is extremely well understood. I studied waveguides, antennae and transmission lines as part of my Electronic Engineering degree and it was made clear to me that some very clever people had worked all this stuff out well over 100 years ago, before they even had the electronic equipment to generate the signals!

Of course, things may not turn out as simple in practice as they are in theory, but there is always a reason for that ...

Things that should work but don't: I saw an example of a TV mysteriously packing up because the UHF signal became poor. It turned out to be due to water ingress in the coaxial cable shorting out the signal.

Things that shouldn't work but do: I know someone living in nearby Mytholmroyd who is not supposed to be able to get a direct signal from the Emley Moor transmitter but he can. He got Freeview way before the local relay station underwent the digital switchover. I checked the OS map of the area and it turns out that there is line of sight from his aerial to the Emley Moor mast, through a small gap between the hills on either side of the Calder Valley. Houses a few doors from him on either side rely on the local relay station instead.

Top Bottom