Arthritic Ankle pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steampig

Having had a couple of bad breaks in my late teens (16 and 18) i now how some mild arthritis in my ankle.(im now 33)
i feel it worse when its cold and sometimes it can cease up after exercise (not cycling)
Im just starting to get back into cycling after around 5 years off and even then i only used to do around 15 miles 4/5 times a week.
Now i know this is proabably more of a doctors question so im not expecting any wonder treatments however i was just wondering if anyone else has any problems and do they use anything to try keep it at bay?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH the cycling will do wonders. Key point with arthritis is to build muscle strength around the joints, so using it is best. I'd personally reduce stuff like running if it's really bothering you - i.e. jolting exercises. I have mild arthritis in my accident damaged shoulder, and I find keeping it moving helps.

So, ride that bike more and more, or even go swimming.

simon.r

Person
FWIW this is my situation:

I have severe arthritis in my left knee, as a result of a bad accident about 30 years ago (in my late teens). It causes me fairly significant grief from time to time, but the pain is much reduced by:

• Regular cycling. Even a week off the bike leads to my knee beginning to ache more.
  • Keeping it warm - a windproof knee warmer over tights (or under trousers when off the bike) works well.
  • Gloucosamine sulphate. This may be a placebo, but it works for me so I don't care if it is!
  • Shoe insoles and a heel wedge provided by the orthotics department of my local hospital. This is relatively new, but apparently over the last 30 years my gait has changed to accomodate one leg being 15mm shorter than the other (as a result of the accident). This has resulted in all manner of minor issues with tendons and ligaments and my big toe dropping:eek: which I wasn't even aware of until they were pointed out to me. I can't speak highly enough of the chap who sorted this out for me and would recommend trying to get referred to your local orthotics people to anyone in a vaguely similar situation.
All personal stuff, which may or may not help you and your situation.

defy-one

FWIW this is my situation:

I have severe arthritis in my left knee, as a result of a bad accident about 30 years ago (in my late teens). It causes me fairly significant grief from time to time, but the pain is much reduced by:

• Regular cycling. Even a week off the bike leads to my knee beginning to ache more.
  • Keeping it warm - a windproof knee warmer over tights (or under trousers when off the bike) works well.
  • Gloucosamine sulphate. This may be a placebo, but it works for me so I don't care if it is!
All personal stuff, which may or may not help you and your situation.

Which Gloucosamine tablets do you take?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom