Arthritis and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

louise

I have arthritis in my shoulder (successfully operated on) my upper spine andd left knee but my suspicions are that its now in my left hip as its both painful and stiff, :evil:I am seeing my GP tomorrow to get it confirmed what I would like to know is would it be a good idea to get a saddle that had suspension built in

Thanks

oxbob

Hi louise, i have osteoarthritis in both hips, cycling is one the few sport's/exercise i can do because it's not weight bearing on the joint. Not sure if a suspension seatpost would help tho

ChrisKH

Guru
oxbob said:
Hi louise, i have osteoarthritis in both hips, cycling is one the few sport's/exercise i can do because it's not weight bearing on the joint. Not sure if a suspension seatpost would help tho

Agreed. Ditto, but knee & LH shoulder.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
oxbob said:
i have osteoarthritis in both hips, cycling is one the few sport's/exercise i can do because it's not weight bearing on the joint.
Ditto. Running is out of the question for me now, but cycling is good.

My OA is in its early stages and I don't have any problems on the bike as long as I use low gears on climbs. I do have to be very careful how I swing my leg over the saddle now though. A couple of times I've dismounted a bit too quickly and my right hip ached for days afterwards. That's a bit of a warning to me that trouble isn't too far away, but even 200+ km rides don't normally cause me any (arthritic) problems.

I have a suspension post on my MTB, but that is to save my back from sudden impacts, rather than my hips. It does take the sting out of bumps and I'd recommend one if you ride on poor surfaces and have a bad back. Your best protection though would be to use the biggest tyres you can and don't over-inflate them. I weigh over 15 stone and I only use about 80 psi front and 90 psi rear on 25c tyres. On 23c, I'd add about 10 psi to those figures.

I'd also recommend cod liver oil and glucosamine sulphate supplements if you don't already take them.

oxbob

"I'd also recommend cod liver oil and glucosamine sulphate supplements if you don't already take them" +1 on the pill's

Top Bottom