Article from a lorry driver who hit a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Saunders

I've had a few cars and one bus toot just as they were in the process of overtaking me. I knew they were approaching as I could hear them, and from glancing over my shoulder, and it still scared the crap out of me. I almost ended up in a hedge when the bus did it, when it was raining.

I appreciate that most of them are probably only alerting to their presense (the occasional idiot doing it for a laugh excepted) but it does put that extra bit of doubt in your head.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
I've had a few cars and one bus toot just as they were in the process of overtaking me. I knew they were approaching as I could hear them, and from glancing over my shoulder, and it still scared the crap out of me. I almost ended up in a hedge when the bus did it, when it was raining.

I appreciate that most of them are probably only alerting to their presense (the occasional idiot doing it for a laugh excepted) but it does put that extra bit of doubt in your head.

I had a Range Rover do it to me as it was overtaking me but he started it as he got level with me. New shorts please! :laugh:

I can understand why but generally if you can't see or hear a lorry you probably should be at home or if you go out, have a carer with you. They aren't really easily missed.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I believe that vehicles should be fitted with a second not so loud more friendly sounding horn /bell or whatever purely used to warn cyclists pedestrians etc. The normal horn could still be in the center of the steering wheel for emergency use.

I have heard that Boris Johnson is campaigning for something similar.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
nowt wrong with a driver sounding their horn to alert another road user to their presence... isn't this what horns are for?

this is what they seem to do when i was in turkey... every car would beep the car in front before passing them... took some getting used to, but maybe us Brits are too horn-shy.

Stonepark

Über Member
I always beep them right back with my megahorn........ as a thank you ^_^

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
nowt wrong with a driver sounding their horn to alert another road user to their presence... isn't this what horns are for?

this is what they seem to do when i was in turkey... every car would beep the car in front before passing them... took some getting used to, but maybe us Brits are too horn-shy.

It is but doing it to another car is different as it's muffled by the car you're in. A person outside is always going to hear it louder and personally they hurt my ears (I also have to cover my ears when ambulances etc go past).

They're also threatening. I generally give the finger to drivers who do it to me. Rude, maybe, but it always puts the fear of Christ up me and I've nearly come off in the past.

lulubel

Über Member
There's one part of this story that interests me, and I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed it:

I saw a cyclist about half a mile away. I moved right over to straddle the white line down the centre of the road because there was no oncoming traffic. I’ve always been told to give the cyclist plenty of room, because the vacuum created by the lorry when you’re going quite quick can pull them in front of the car that’s behind you.

After his experience, he sounds his horn when he's approaching a cyclist to let them know he's there.

Why doesn't he just slow down?

So many large vehicles go flying past me when I'm on the roads, and it's bloody scary, even if they are right on the other side of the road. If you haven't got a problem with your hearing, you can hear a lorry thundering up behind you - I grip the bars and think, "Hold your line, don't look round," because I've found they pass closer if I look round - but if you're listening to music so loud that you can't hear a lorry approaching, you probably won't notice the horn either.

The local bus drivers around here are obviously well trained because they give you plenty of room, and they slow down when they pass you, but so many drivers seem to think they're driving well because they're on the other side of the road, when all they need to do to make your experience of being passed more comfortable and less terrifying is to slow down.

Edit: Forgot to add, a lot of drivers round here sound their horns when they're approaching you - and some manage to wait until they're alongside you. I make sure I never look round, never jump, and never wobble. I just totally ignore them.

And now, having read the article.... How farking fast was he going to do all that damage (even after, presumably, he'd slowed down)? I've got not very much sympathy for the driver I'm afraid.

Top Bottom