article on how we are treated by motorists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I've not noticed this, but I'm not riding a lot these days, only one 20-30 mile ride a week and not the 2 x 50-60 mile rides a week I was doing, even when I was doing the longer rides I didn't notice any of this going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Varies day to day. Some days drivers are wonderful and give nice wide passes, then the next day you get a few that insist on doing their best to pass without going over the white line! When there's obviously nothing coming the other way, it's slightly irritating.
Yup.
Same as it ever was.

People notice different things; get a bad day, write a moany blog about it, the internet piles in. It's not data.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If anything, I get a much wider berth from drivers, I would say that 90% of drivers now move onto the other lane to overtake.
Is that because of Operation Close Pass and the consulted/reported forthcoming changes to the Highway Code?

I think the idiots were ignoring the advice to walk and cycle and were driving throughout, so I no longer trust motorists as much to behave correctly, so I wait for a clear path across a staggered crossroads rather than risk stopping in the middle waiting to turn right.

I don't ride on the roads if I can possibly avoid it, simples.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I enjoyed a ten-mile loop which was almost traffic-free as my ride to work from home, during the last few months.

Readjusting to running the gauntlet of close passes and distracted impatient commuters/school run drivers is taking some doing.

I can't say it's any better or worse than before.

In one 5 mile 20 minute ride home this week, I still had a very close "punishment?" pass coming off a roundabout, and a youngster squeezing past at speed in between me and oncoming traffic, together with probably 75 competent careful drivers passing me quite safely. That's pretty much business as usual on this particular route though.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Professional drivers in general great, its the general public who dont seem to give a fig.
Doesnt help that i now have to commute at 1.30 in the afternoon on lates and i find thats a terrible time for people either rushing about or dozy pesioners who shouldnt be on the road( yes i know its a generalization although 2 nearly wiped me out yesterday )

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Professional drivers in general great, its the general public who dont seem to give a fig.
Doesnt help that i now have to commute at 1.30 in the afternoon on lates and i find thats a terrible time for people either rushing about or dozy pesioners who shouldnt be on the road( yes i know its a generalization although 2 nearly wiped me out yesterday )

I have often thought similar, rush hour drivers know where they're going and in general know what is expected of them on the road.

Outside of those hours, nervous, unpredictable and in some cases wholly incompetent drivers venture out.

Colleagues who drive to work say that people are in more of a hurry than before, having left less time for their commutes expecting the roads to be quieter than previously. There's more tailgating & more reckless overtaking.

snorri

Legendary Member
I have not noticed any differences in driver behaviour apart from the fact that local drivers do a lot more zigzagging than they used to in order to avoid potholes.
It was disconcerting if on a road I had not used for some time, but now it has become the norm:sad:.

Top Bottom