Artistic question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Right, I've been having a rethink.

I think the more important thing here is to get a replacement for the halof-finished picture that's currently hanging in the dining room, so instead of trying to get the ferry just right I've gone for another approach that hopefully will work a bit better.

As an added challenge, I'm aiming to get the picture done by the time I go to visit the family in the middle of the month; we shall see.

Anyway, this is it so far with the background largely finished:

DSC_5379.JPG

Lots to do...

Lyme_Regis_01.JPG

After not inconsiderable amounts of swaering, the boat is finally roughly the right shape...

No, doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid - looks like you're trying too hard, especially in the second picture. Those stones need to be smoothed out and blurred, as the rough edges would've taken a hammering from the sea.

This is why I rarely work bigger than 14 x 10 inches, because if I work bigger, I tend to get hung up in the details - I once spent a whole day painting the number plate on a rally car. I now prefer to work on a smaller scale and paint much more loosely, using dabs and smears of paint to suggest rather than define.

Though everyone works differently though, and since that painting is going on your wall and not mine, whatever works for you is fine. :smile:

sheddy

Legendary Member
I like the drama of your 1st attempt.
Bollards instead of rails ?

View attachment 526528

Next level.

@Reynard: I'l be using a wash to tone things down a bit, but I wanted a bit of texture "underneath" first. Now it's over lumpy, it'll be weathered... weathered...

Are you just using ordinary acrylic paint?

If so, there are ways you can add texture without banging your head over it. Like switching to heavy body paint and using a knife rather than a brush, likewise texturing gel added to paint, or, even at a pinch, some sand. Depends what you're after, really.

Fairly obviously, I've got stuck again.

I've had the picture propped up where I can see it, and I've been thinking: Is the ship itself the wrong colour?

The image will be opposite this one:

indert_howth_2015_05_28_finished_01.jpg

It occurs to me that two boats next to each other will be a bit samey.

Any (realistic) suggestions for a colour?

Hmm... You're the one who has to live with the paintings, so who am I to advise...

But what about a red one? :scratch: Sort of a play on port and starboard.

Ooo, I must admit I like that idea.

Are there fishing boats without with red hulls below the waterline though? I'm not sure how well the red above and bauxite below would separate visually.

Top Bottom