Artistic question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You make me sick! Sick, you hear? Sicksicksicksicksicksick. I hate people what can draw, me!

Just kidding, obviously, I stand in awe of your undoubted talent.

Fortunately there are lots of people on this forum -in fact this thread- about whom I feel the same way: I'm a journeyman, way out of my league, so I can't get too cocky. It also gives me something to aspire to.

Ooo, I must admit I like that idea.

Are there fishing boats without with red hulls below the waterline though? I'm not sure how well the red above and bauxite below would separate visually.

Good point. I'm not exactly au fait with boat-y things...

In that case, how about purple? :whistle:

:crazy:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Fortunately there are lots of people on this forum -in fact this thread- about whom I feel the same way: I'm a journeyman, way out of my league, so I can't get too cocky. It also gives me something to aspire to.
You're a good artist though. Not worryingly good I might add. We knew this kid in our class at school (he actually owns an artists gallery in London now) who could draw an almost photographic representation of what he wanted to do. I remember a picture he drew of Geoff Hurst that was almost indistinguishable from the photo he drew it from in Shoot magazine. The problem he had(s) was that he became very troublesome, always picking fights and seemed to be devoid of personality. He was diagnosed with autism - unknown at the time - and has never married or developed any kind of relationship.

Earlier kind comments notwithstanding, I think it's time to whitewash this picture and start again. It's becoming an annoyance and stressful instead of a joy and it isn't working out the way I wanted.
I learned a fair bit though, so I think I'lll start looking for another subject that is less ambitious and a bit more atmospheric.

Earlier kind comments notwithstanding, I think it's time to whitewash this picture and start again. It's becoming an annoyance and stressful instead of a joy and it isn't working out the way I wanted.
I learned a fair bit though, so I think I'lll start looking for another subject that is less ambitious and a bit more atmospheric.

We all have those moments - I have my share of abandoned paintings and drawings knocking around, most of which are not fit for public consumption. :blush:

I've put the Tyrrell painting to one side for now as I'm not quite in the mood to work on it. Instead, I'm experimenting with combining ink and coloured pencils.

AndyRM

XOXO
We all have those moments - I have my share of abandoned paintings and drawings knocking around, most of which are not fit for public consumption. :blush:

I've put the Tyrrell painting to one side for now as I'm not quite in the mood to work on it. Instead, I'm experimenting with combining ink and coloured pencils.

Amen to that!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So I need to make a second painting for the dining room to be a partner to this one I painted a few years ago.

The new painting has been giving me some trouble though.

I wanted a small ferry with a post bus approaching it, if possible in (semi) darkness giving the feel of the ferry being a safe haven. I made a few thumbnails:

View attachment 429989

Then came up with a design I liked:

View attachment 429990

The problem with this is
1: possibly too much foreground
2: Bus on wrong side of road with no barrier. If I add a barrier the bus will be hidden.
3: Bus has come over all Postman Pat but that's no big issue.

So, I made another sketch and mucked about a bit on Gimp to make it more what I wanted Atmosphere like this:

View attachment 429991

As for perspective, I don't know; but the middle one seems best:
View attachment 429992
The bus looks a lot better, but they all have a flat quayside which logically would be flooded if the ferry is that high. So I tried to combine the good bits in the first attempt at painting:

View attachment 429987

Hmm... still crummy perspective. There the matter has reated for some time with the picture bugging me constantly.

I wondered if making a more obvious quayside ramp would help:

View attachment 429988

Still not sure though.

I really want to get this moving next week so if anyone has any ideas I'm open to hear them...

I like this as it is..

What's the price ? :okay:

I decided I was going to make one more attempt at this picture. To my frank astonishment, I actually got somewhere this time:

Ferry_Painting_09.jpg

I need to sort a couple of details* but it's generally done. It's not exactly what I wanted but better than I expected.

I'll be going to the family tomorrow and take my longtail bike so I can carry it with me, which is why I really wanted it done this week. All I have to do now is tidy up the apartment which I've neglected for the last couple of days of frantic painting...

*The back mudguard on the post van for one thing, so it looks a bit less like a drag racer...

Chromatic

Legendary Member
You're a good artist though. Not worryingly good I might add. We knew this kid in our class at school (he actually owns an artists gallery in London now) who could draw an almost photographic representation of what he wanted to do. I remember a picture he drew of Geoff Hurst that was almost indistinguishable from the photo he drew it from in Shoot magazine. The problem he had(s) was that he became very troublesome, always picking fights and seemed to be devoid of personality. He was diagnosed with autism - unknown at the time - and has never married or developed any kind of relationship.

Not really relevant to the original post but this post reminded me of a boy in our year at school all those years ago. Although I would not call him devoid of personality he was a difficult pupil and would have been described as what you would call a trouble maker. He was a bit of a rebel and never bothered trying academically but he was brilliant at chess although he had to be almost forced to be part of the school chess team. I sometimes wonder what became of him.

That's a decent end result @Andy in Germany :okay: You should be well pleased with that. :becool:

Thanks @Reynard. I'm still not sure about that back wheel. I've decided it'll get changed if I have time today before I have to pack it and go,, if not I'll leave it and see how much it annoys me: it doesn't seem that obvious when the picture is on the wall, which makes me think I'm the only one who will see it.

Spot the difference:

Ferry_Painting_10.jpg

Drag racing tyres repainted about 2 hours before I had to catch the train to Stuttgart. I realise the wheel leans a bit but it was that or repaint the whole back end of the van...

Vertical line in the centre of the canvas is because I still haven't tensioned the picture properly: it isn't visible in real life.

Top Bottom