artistic talent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PrettyboyTim

That's an exceptional drawing for a five year old. Apart from the fact that the lines aren't very precise (which is to be expected in one so young, it's a limit of his dexterity rather than his artistic skill) I wouldn't be surprised if few people on this forum could do better.

I'm particularly impressed by the pose, and the observation that has gone into the shape of the creature. Stunning.

OP
OP
velocidad

velocidad

Veteran
thanks for the comments :biggrin:

he has always drawn really quickly, sort of Rolf Harris style :sad: he has slowed down a bit recently as he tries to add more detail. he also starts and stops as he draws, doing say a bit of the head and then maybe a leg, which maybe accounts for the slightly jerky appearance of the lines. i'm always amazed at how he can see how all the bits he draws will come together to form the finished picture.
he hardly ever draws anything but animals, which reflects his passion for natural history. there is always a lot more going on in his pictures than you first think. as well as describing what you see in the picture, he also tells you what has happened before the scene he's drawn and the consequences there of. i particularly like pictures he does were so much of the subject is off the page. the best ones, i think, are the really big ones he does on rolls of lining paper, the whole thing just becomes one long story, which he describes with such passion, enthusiasm and knowledge.

this is one of oviraptors fighting over an egg. took him less than a minute to draw this.

oviraptors220307.jpg

one of a white tipped reef shark which he did when he was just 3(well nearly 4 :biggrin:)

whitetippedreefshark300605.jpg

and this one always makes me smile. he was given one of those fuzzy felt things by someone. the idea was to make different faces with it. velocison made a duckbill platypus :biggrin: (your looking down on it from above)

duckbillplatypus2806062.jpg

cheers, velocidad :biggrin:

SamNichols

A duckbilled platypus wearing glasses? The platypus is cool.
It seems like your son likes dinosaurs. This is a good thing to like. At that age I liked space. I still like space, but not as much.

SamNichols said:
A duckbilled platypus wearing glasses? The platypus is cool.
It seems like your son likes dinosaurs. This is a good thing to like. At that age I liked space. I still like space, but not as much.

i like staring into it...

especially when i have job applications to do.

ChrisKH

Guru
He's going through his Dinosaur period then? Nice picture. Now you've got to take him off to the Natural History Museum. Then in six months he'll go through his Concorde Stage. And you have to take him to RAF Duxford. And then six months after that he'll go through his Pokemon stage. Cue hours poring over Japanese e-bay pictures and ordering stuff on-line...................:biggrin:

My youngest is currently going through his penis stage.:biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
He seems to have a natural leaning there,his depth in the shark is impressive,great stuff.

Tetedelacourse

ChrisKH said:
He's going through his Dinosaur period then? Nice picture. Now you've got to take him off to the Natural History Museum. Then in six months he'll go through his Concorde Stage. And you have to take him to RAF Duxford. And then six months after that he'll go through his Pokemon stage. Cue hours poring over Japanese e-bay pictures and ordering stuff on-line...................:biggrin:

My youngest is currently going through his penis stage.:biggrin:

How many has he ordered on-line?:sad:

PrettyboyTim

velocidad said:
this is one of oviraptors fighting over an egg. took him less than a minute to draw this.

oviraptors220307.jpg

one of a white tipped reef shark which he did when he was just 3(well nearly 4 :biggrin:)

whitetippedreefshark300605.jpg

I'm convinced that your son really is extraordinarily talented. Seriously. For a three year-old to draw such an excellent shark I find nothing short of incredible.

You must be very proud! :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
PrettyboyTim said:
I'm convinced that your son really is extraordinarily talented. Seriously. For a three year-old to draw such an excellent shark I find nothing short of incredible.

You must be very proud! :biggrin:
I presume (not to take away from his undoubted talent) that he's getting the shape/dimensions from a picture? If so, then he is still very talented indeed. If he's doing this from imagination, then phone the papers!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Those are all great pictures! If he's got the imagination to tell stories about them as well, he should start writing and illustrating story books!

Jeez, I wish I could draw so well!

ChrisKH

Guru
Tetedelacourse said:
How many has he ordered on-line?:biggrin:

I have refrained from showing him on-line versions. :biggrin: A few of the boys in his class at school are all a bit obsessed with theirs apparently. Not surprising really, you should see his teacher............

Arch

Married to Night Train
laurence said:
hope he didn't see Ben's Zoo on BBC2 last night then.

Yeah, I loved it when that coati grabbed hold of the bars of the cage when they were trying to take him to the operating theatre!

Not so impressed with the tiger waking up halfway through being carried to the van...

OP
OP
velocidad

velocidad

Veteran
we are indeed very proud of the boy :biggrin:

he spends a lot of time going through many natural history books and does all his drawings from memory. the strange thing is that, on the rare occasion that he draws something other than an animal, it's not very good :sad:
we're now hoping that school doesn't dilute his interests by forcing him down the route of key stages and attainment targets. :biggrin: unfortunately there is no key stage target for prehistoric marine reptiles from the devonian period :biggrin:

cheers, velocidad :biggrin:

Top Bottom