As an occassional car-driver, what should I do..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I cycle 10 times more than I drive in central London, but I have to on occassion. Earlier this year, at night (dark + raining), I was driving back through Old Street and had to turn left - it was a wide lane but no cycle-lane. I know from pulling away from the lights 100m or so earlier, there were 20+ cyclists heading the same way.

As I looked in the left wing-mirror, it was quite hard to see. Cyclists with front lights were ok, but I couldn't see those without. I indictaed and slowed but even as doing so, bikes were undertaking me. As the turning was imminent and I was an crawling pace, still another cyclist undertook me. It was worrying as no lights meant couldn't not see him.

What should I do at this point? I didn't want to stop as I felt this would have been too erratic/unpredictable and at some point I would have had to start moving without warnign which would have been more dangerous. I ended up trying hard to see in wing mirror, and going for it but still had cyclists swerving around me on the right side who appeared to have only changed diretion at the last moment.

As I cyclcist, I always have front/rear lights when even slightly dark, and watch out for indicating cars and poistion accordingly. Being left-hooked is always a worry, but this not nice being in the position of a car-driver.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The cyclists are idiots if they can clearly see you turning. The issue you have is the turning is so close to the lights, and the cyclists won't be far behind. Possibly worth waiting at a junction like this and let them go - saves you a damaged car by an idiot. Very tricky.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

The cyclists are idiots if they can clearly see you turning. The issue you have is the turning is so close to the lights, and the cyclists won't be far behind. Possibly worth waiting at a junction like this and let them go - saves you a damaged car by an idiot. Very tricky.
I did contemplate stopping but I am convinced that nobdy would have expected that which is always a dangerous situation. I would have had to made the turn at some point and randomly stating off to turn left would have been even more dangerous as there's always a contstant stream.

Evening knowing the lights from the earlier junction had changed would make no difference as the RLJ come flying through.

davefb

Guru
Waiting for what though? The point is it is incredibly difficult to see in the dark and rain especially if cyclists have no lights. If it's bad enough, its pretty much impossible if there's other lights and even flashing cycling lights give little distance information.
I'd just keep the same pace and make sure I've not cut the corner... though obviously if I'd seen anyone when doing a 'shoulder check' giving even more room..

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It sounds as if you passed the cyclists without there being enough time to get far enough ahead to make a safe left turn without impeding them. It might have been better to pull away gently and let them get ahead. Difficult to say without being there, though.

defy-one

Cyclist also have a duty of care to be seen. Keep a steady slow pace with indicator on and leave as much space between the kerb and you. Make the turn gently and any silly cyclist will brake.
I feel your hesitation isn't good for you or any other road user.
I use old street roundabout all the time (car & bike) and old street towards Barbican. Busy area.

dawesome

I know from pulling away from the lights 100m or so earlier, there were 20+ cyclists heading the same way.

Why did you overtake people before making a turn? It's in the Highway Code, you shouldn't do that.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

I'd b
Why did you overtake people before making a turn? It's in the Highway Code, you shouldn't do that.
Quite a few months ago do difficult to remember exactly but seem to remember only passing a coupl on the wide road but it was a constant stream, not just those at the lights.

ohnovino

Large Member
The way I read it, he stopped at the lights and the cyclists pulled up alongside. Lights change, everyone moves off together and it's nigh on impossible for the car to get across to make the left turn.

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
Consider fitting a rear-facing camera to your car. Clearly you're perfectly considerate of other road users; they too should make an effort. You can't hold everybody's hand. Undertaking a left-turning vehicle is asking for trouble. An idiot is an idiot whether or not he is a cyclist.

Top Bottom