As you know...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can, then blend it if you so wish !

longers

Legendary Member
Yep, and the results will tell you how to do it differently for next time. You'll find out what works. I boil bones without the lid on to concentrate the stock a bit more. It's easier to add water than take it away.

Not sure why you're frying veg, roast it in a bit of oil perhaps? Or chuck it in raw?

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
you can add some chunks of carrots/celeriac etc with the carcass to make the stock for added flavour. Just make sure you don't boil it, but simmer very gently when it comes towards the boil (prevents lots of scum forming].

I guess I always make the stock first, let it cool and then skim off the fat that congeals in a nice & easy to remove layer, and also sieve it to remove any small bits of bone and gristle that may be present (that's what all the clever books say anyway). There is normally a bit more meat that can be taken off the carcass and added back into the soup later [or be put aside for a risotto - that's what I do with most of my chicken stock, you definitely want to remove the fat for that!]

But back to the soup:
Fry onion/garlic and any other veg briefly before adding the stock ... tastes better than just chucked raw into the stock, especially the onion/garlic!

But your method should work fine, if the carcass isn't too fatty, it just seems a bit "backwards" compared with the conventional way. :sad:

Whatever you end up doing, let us know how it went :tongue:

T

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mmmm, sounds good!:sad:

I think soups are fairly hardy things - you can mess with them quite a lot, adjusting the flavour as you go, and they are difficult to overcook.

Beware when seasoning - any salt will be concentrated over time, so best to add it late, and just a little - if any: I don't use salt at all in cooking.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Soooo, how's it cooking..... I do a mean tomato soup, and a 'christmas dinner soup'.....i.e. left overs....the kcal count of that soup is for the gods.......;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
fossyant said:
Soooo, how's it cooking..... I do a mean tomato soup, and a 'christmas dinner soup'.....i.e. left overs....the kcal count of that soup is for the gods.......;)

Try leaving the leftover Xmas pudding out next time....:biggrin:

Do you float Quality Street in it, as croutons?

ASC1951

Guru
User1314 said:
a bit of rice and simmer for another hour?
Too late now, CoG, but I find it much better to add rice (or spuds) to soup after I have cooked them. Both give up a lot of starch, even if you rinse them, and can easily make soup look bleggy.

Top Bottom