ASA/ Cycling advert/ You just couldn't make it up...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Their reaction doesn't surprise me.

I wrote to them recently to complain that an advert was misleading in its claims and that buyers may be unduly influenced by such unsubstantiated claims. The ad was for the model of helmet as worn by James Cracknell in which it was claimed that it "had saved his life".

My complaint was rejected.

I feel another letter coming on...

GC

She's probably riding that far out as she has seen the road surface to her left at the end of the video.
Damn, I just spent a couple of minutes getting a screen shot of this, hadn't seen that it was already mentioned.

With the condition of the road, she is very clearly in the correct position. And I often find motorists think I am too far out, because they can't see (or don't realise the implications of) a pothole 10 metres ahead.

asa.jpg

Reactions: gaz
Why is the cyclist's position even relevant? If a cyclist is riding the wrong position, without a helmet, without proper lighting or whatever you should still give her plenty of room. The ads are targeted at drivers, who should drive safely near cyclists, even if they perceive that the cyclist is riding within the law or not.

e.g. Just because a cyclist jumps a red light doesn't mean you are allowed to knock them down, you still have to do your best to avoid a collision.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Thats an amazing advert!!!!!!

albion

Guru
It almost sounds to me like a case for a discrimination law prosecution.

Would they ban it in Holland? Who would have thought the ASA were the Taliban type.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Can anyone remember the advert a few years ago for a car. Which had a load of cyclists riding around a city. probably without helmets and obviously really far from the edge of the road. Hmmm.. what was it.

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2899145, member: 259"]Dunno. Here's a typical Belgian advert, but they are wearing helmets. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yebbut these are sport cyclists in the video, Lance wannabes, and not REAL cyclists:evil:

Top Bottom