Ashamed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To Be A Motorist ;)

Living in Devon i rarely have to go into central London but on thursday i had to drop someone at the Hilton Hotel in Park Lane, whilst driving through Knightsbridge i hit bad traffic and we were at a standstill for about 15 minutes there was obviously a problem up ahead i was'nt in a hurry so it was'nt a big deal, whilst sat in the traffic a lady on a bicycle filtered up the inside of me and then through the gap between the front of my car and the rear of the car in front but as she tried to go past the car in front the driver opened his door and blocked the way ? i put my window down and clearly heard the lady say " Excuse me can i get through please " and the driver went off on one about cyclist ? I ended up getting out of my car and having a go at the driver for being such a Tw@t and to let the lady through (which he did begrudgingly) I've been a Professional driver for over 20 years and i just cant understand this sort of mentality on the roads ?

Simon

That's called bullying.Shame he didn't try it on my mate dave at work.

Dave had an altercation with a van driver while out on his bike.The bloke got out of his van to have a "few" words with Dave.He got off his bike and went up to the guy and said "lets play".The van driver promptly got into his van and buggered off.;)

That seems to be the mentality in London.

Pete

They pick on the vulnerable, the 'soft targets, the ones least likely to hit back, don't they? Utterly inexcusable behaviour, even if the motorist didn't cause any physical harm, he was just being selfish.

Are you a cyclist, Jakes Dad? Even if you're not, even though you titled the thread 'ashamed', you should have titled it 'proud'. Because you should be proud to be a motorist who shows concern, who has respect for all other road users, who doesn't sink to that sort of behaviour. I wish every motorist were like you...

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
Rhythm Thief ... I'm a one man band Taxi Operator I use a Volkswagon Passat and tend to do alot of Airport (Heathrow/Gatwick) work from Devon i would'nt class myself as Executive Private Hire but i dont do Pubs & Clubs either, i also spent 15 years as a truck driver but when the Kids came along my wife did'nt want me to be away all week

Pete ... I'm a leisure cyclist, i have a hardtail mountain bike (Giant Terrago) but i dont do hardcore mountain biking more of a casual ride through the forest trails and canal paths and its always nice just to have a ride around the Devon lanes

I would guess that the lady was in her early 40's and riding a proper ladys shopper type bike ... so it just beggars belief that anyone would have a go ? it's certainly opened my eyes as to what it must be like to commute through London on a daily basis ... And i dont envy those that do but good luck and stay safe Gents (& Ladies obviously)

Simon

col

Legendary Member
Nicely done Jakes dad,Like has been said,these bullies only bully,if they think they have the upper hand,normally cowards.

domtyler

Über Member
When I read the thread title I thought you must have at least been caught masturbating by your eighteen year old daughter. This story though is nothing to be ashamed about at all, you stood up for a damsel in distress, well done you.

The truth is that cycling in London you will get two or three incidents like this every time you mount your bike. That really is a shame.

Tynan

Veteran
regardless of circumstances, a man fronting a woman doesn't deserve to be considered a man

well done OP

Jakes Dad said:
Rhythm Thief ... I'm a one man band Taxi Operator I use a Volkswagon Passat and tend to do alot of Airport (Heathrow/Gatwick) work from Devon i would'nt class myself as Executive Private Hire but i dont do Pubs & Clubs either, i also spent 15 years as a truck driver but when the Kids came along my wife did'nt want me to be away all week
Simon

Yes, I know that feeling ... I don't officially do nights away any more, but living in Monmouth and working in the West Midlands means that I spend three nights a week sleeping in the truck in our yard. Both me and Ms RT are getting a bit fed up with it!
Nice to have another pro driver on our side.

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
I'm not ashamed of what i did ... But it does worry me that a grown man can do this to a female on a bicycle and as a "Motorist" i'm lumped into the same group as this Tw@t

Maybe it's a jealousy thing ? that someone can go faster across the city on a £200 bike than they can in their £££'s cars ?

Simon

domtyler

Über Member
Jakes Dad said:
I'm not ashamed of what i did ... But it does worry me that a grown man can do this to a female on a bicycle and as a "Motorist" i'm lumped into the same group as this Tw@t

Maybe it's a jealousy thing ? that someone can go faster across the city on a £200 bike than they can in their £££'s cars ?

Simon

I think that most of us on here drive regularly anyway, so that means that we should all be ashamed too? Not at all.

Top Bottom