Ashes to ashes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I save my wood ash up over winter and sprinkle it one the garden where I’m going to grow brassica plants, it’s meant to be good for them.

Perhaps somebody on here that does more grow your own than me can answer whether coal ashes have the same effect?

Mr Phoebus

ArDee said:
I save my wood ash up over winter and sprinkle it one the garden where I’m going to grow brassica plants, it’s meant to be good for them.

Perhaps somebody on here that does more grow your own than me can answer whether coal ashes have the same effect?

See post #15.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
I have converted some rather elderly charcoal ash (the leftovers from our last barbecue) into a mulch for my cabbages and a spray for the rest of my brassicas. Maybe I just need to have a few wood only fires to gather more ash...;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
When we were kids, we ran home eagerly one day to tell dad that someone had dumped a load of ash in our local wood.... which they had, gawd knows how, but the pile was big enough for us to ride our bikes up and down, and was still warmish at that stage... so, dad thinks ... hmm... that'll be good for my roses, and sent us back up with a wheelbarrow and shovels... you can guess the rest, I s'pose, but his lovely roses gradually died a horrible spotty death; I have no idea where the ash came from, or what was in it, and none ever got dumped there again, but me and my bro' still alive, and indeed I still have a healthy green glow in low light conditions ;)

Top Bottom