Asking for a friend.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If your wife has one leg much stronger than the other then her riding gait is of course going to be uneven, causing her pelvis to tilt to one side more than the other.

Potentially adding to pressure on one side of her undercarriage more than t'other.
Not only, but also: the whole bum will be putting more pressure on the saddle while the less strong leg is pushing down.

In normal riding, your weight is shared between bum and legs and the amounts vary from leg to leg as the pedals cycle. That's why your bum generally hurts more as your legs tire: you're putting more pressure on it and less on the legs, as well as probably sitting more solidly on the bike and limiting the suspension effect of having some weight supported by legs and pedals, even when freewheeling, so you feel every bump in the damned road instead of riding over them. When it gets really bad, you may put some weight on your hands, which is a bad move that can lead to almost electric-shock-like sensations from wrists, shoulder or neck as the front wheel hits bumps...

Anyway, I'd be looking much more at whether the uneven-strength legs can be handled with some sort of lopsided saddle position, or maybe an expensive hammock or cheap mattress saddle, rather than padding which will itself be designed for symmetric people, but I don't like padded clothes anyway. Except my jacket with the sleeves that connect at the back. ;)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Not only, but also: the whole bum will be putting more pressure on the saddle while the less strong leg is pushing down.

In normal riding, your weight is shared between bum and legs and the amounts vary from leg to leg as the pedals cycle. That's why your bum generally hurts more as your legs tire: you're putting more pressure on it and less on the legs, as well as probably sitting more solidly on the bike and limiting the suspension effect of having some weight supported by legs and pedals, even when freewheeling, so you feel every bump in the damned road instead of riding over them. When it gets really bad, you may put some weight on your hands, which is a bad move that can lead to almost electric-shock-like sensations from wrists, shoulder or neck as the front wheel hits bumps...

Anyway, I'd be looking much more at whether the uneven-strength legs can be handled with some sort of lopsided saddle position, or maybe an expensive hammock or cheap mattress saddle, rather than padding which will itself be designed for symmetric people, but I don't like padded clothes anyway. Except my jacket with the sleeves that connect at the back. ;)

Well yes this is what i meant by the pelvis tilting and causing discomfort - the 'whole bum' is the slightly less technical term for the underside of the pelvis :smile:

The hammock saddle is an interesting idea though as it would compensate for some of the tilt - never tried one but am intrigued now
wonder if it could help our friend with one leg longer than t'other also ..

OP
OP
S

Scotty55

Yesterday, she ventured out in the new shorts and did 12 km with no discomfort, other than sore legs. I only managed 5, as I got a flat..... Not the time to find out that my pump doesn’t fit the valve on my new bike...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yesterday, she ventured out in the new shorts and did 12 km with no discomfort, other than sore legs. I only managed 5, as I got a flat..... Not the time to find out that my pump doesn’t fit the valve on my new bike...
Some pump heads can fit both but have to be changed over by unscrewing the outer ring, then removing, reversing and reinserting in the same order a rubber grip washer and spring pin. Otherwise, fit Woods valve tubes to wheels with Schrader holes which takes the same pumps as Presta, or carry a small Schrader to Presta adapter.

OP
OP
S

Scotty55

Got a pump with the presta valve head, couple of inner tubes and some patches, so I’m mobile again.

SWMBO declined to cycle today - probably as well as it was hellishly windy and a real struggle.

I am now 80 km short of covering 1,000 km in July, so expect to be doing a few extra routes over next few days. I’ll do my runs then join up with SWMBO for hers.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Padded shorts are the way to go.
when I was a kid, right until I was mid 30s, never wore them. I stopped cycling for 4 years and when I took it back up again, my bum was in agony. I invested in a cheap pair from sports direct. The difference was astonishing. They didn’t last long but I bought good ones after that and they lasted ages. Still wear them, under baggie shorts sometimes.

Top Bottom