Asking for a friend.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

She’s keen to keep going, partly to keep me company, partly to keep fit. I’m happy to encourage her - but hope her performance ramps up soon - yesterday, my fitness app reported that I’d covered a greater distance than the day before but, as some of it was done with her, I burned fewer calories :-)
I sense conflict here, you say you want to encourage her, but then complain your not getting enough exercise, can you not do a short loop with your wife then go off & get your fix?

OP
OP
S

Scotty55

I sense conflict here, you say you want to encourage her, but then complain your not getting enough exercise, can you not do a short loop with your wife then go off & get your fix?

Yeah, I’ve done that. I need to watch my tone - it was meant as an amusing comment but didn’t come across that way. The only person responsible for my stats is me.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If I offended you with my flippance then I also offer an apology, but the OP did mention his wife was struggling past 6K which is nothing to be ashamed of & 6K more than I've ridden in the last 5 weeks, but then you mentioned "serious" cyclists & I'm sorry I just thought it funny.

Don't worry. I'm all for a bit of piss-taking.
I'd deliberately put quotes round "serious" because I didn't exactly mean it seriously then unfortunately took umbrage thinking I was being falsely accused of snobbish elitism, which would have bee ironic given my own modest prowess

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Don't worry. I'm all for a bit of piss-taking.
I'd deliberately put quotes round "serious" because I didn't exactly mean it seriously then unfortunately took umbrage thinking I was being falsely accused of snobbish elitism, which would have bee ironic given my own modest prowess

You'd better return that umbrage immediately then - you're know you're not allowed to take umbrage off site ...

Unless you are in fact a serious cyclist of course - in which case - as you were :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yeah, I’ve done that. I need to watch my tone - it was meant as an amusing comment but didn’t come across that way. The only person responsible for my stats is me.

Also if i were you're wife -

(i'm fairly certain I'm not that - being as i am - in a state of perpetual unbetrothedness)

- i would quite soon pick up on a sense of 'being a nuisance' - which would further put me off joining you any more.

But i guess as soon as the saddle soreness - or whatever it is - is resolved she can do her own thing at her own pace.

OP
OP
S

Scotty55

Also if i were you're wife -

(i'm fairly certain I'm not that - being as i am - in a state of perpetual unbetrothedness)

- i would quite soon pick up on a sense of 'being a nuisance' - which would further put me off joining you any more.

But i guess as soon as the saddle soreness - or whatever it is - is resolved she can do her own thing at her own pace.

Like my wife sees what I post.....

If she did, I’d be banned from the internet

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Like my wife sees what I post.....

If she did, I’d be banned from the internet

I don't mean she will see what you post..

Although if you are being naughty on the Internet - Stop it now, you bad person!!

I mean she will pick up on your feelings of impatience, or being held back, if you are thinking more about your 'stats' when going for a ride together, rather than just enjoying yourselves.

And feel discouraged.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You'd better return that umbrage immediately then - you're know you're not allowed to take umbrage off site ...

Unless you are in fact a serious cyclist of course - in which case - as you were :okay:

A mate claimed he was a "serious cyclist" in that he only ever used his bike to go to work, the shops or other practical purpose. Those cyclists who dress up and cycle 100 miles or go racing or whatever were not "serious cyclists" as they were using their bikes for frivolous reason and leisure. His comment was tongue in cheek but nevertheless he did have a "serious" point too

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
A mate claimed he was a "serious cyclist" in that he only ever used his bike to go to work, the shops or other practical purpose. Those cyclists who dress up and cycle 100 miles or go racing or whatever were not "serious cyclists" as they were using their bikes for frivolous reason and leisure. His comment was tongue in cheek but nevertheless he did have a "serious" point too

How about if you run serious errands on your bicycle, but in a frivolous manner??

Such as singing bawdy songs, whilst pedalling to the shops.

What then ??

It's complicated innit??

12boy

Guru
It is very easy to be impatient with someone less fit or experienced than myself and it is also very easy to put them off cycling permanently. I have to remind myself that the point isn't to go for a " me" ride but to do what I can to make it a pleasant experience. I've been cycling for about 60 years and I find it easier than walking. This can be intimidating to a new guy, but just because I have a lot of experience doesn't mean I am very fast or even very good at it. So when riding with someone else they can lead if they like and we can quit when they like too. Little digs that are meant to be funny usually are not. It's tough to learn a new skill and being under pressure doesn't help.
It may be that riding an upright bike may be just too difficult. If I get to that point I will be considering a tadpole trike. They seem made for folks with bad backs, limbs of differing lengths or strengths or perhaps balance problems. Get your wife an electric one and you may be the one struggling to keep up!

Top Bottom