Asking for a friend.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've never used any sort of ungent, I'm not too keen on using stuff like that, in that area, so to speak ... :sad:
Doing a lot of miles for me so I am using this before
https://udderlysmooth.co.uk/product/chamois-cream-tube/
and this after if soreness arrives
https://www.velovixen.com/products/assos-skin-repair-gel-75ml
or some sudocreme

but none will do anything for a bum simply not used to a saddle!

Julia9054

Guru
Padded shorts definitely
Make sure saddle is correct width for sit bones.
More padded saddle does not necessarily mean more comfortable
If it’s sore skin then little and often toughens it up. Cream is soothing afterwards
If it’s soft tissue pain (labia etc) then a saddle with a cut out may help

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I've never used any sort of ungent, I'm not too keen on using stuff like that, in that area, so to speak ... :sad:
Not a fan myself :whistle:

Doing a lot of miles for me so I am using this before
https://udderlysmooth.co.uk/product/chamois-cream-tube/
and this after if soreness arrives
https://www.velovixen.com/products/assos-skin-repair-gel-75ml
or some sudocreme

but none will do anything for a bum simply not used to a saddle!
It's magical :laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There is another similar thread which you may wish to read https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/thinking-heads-on-please.264804/ or as per a suggestion on there consider giving your wife the link & get her to read & contribute herself.

I say @Phaeton you're very brave to suggest the Mrs Scotty joins us in person*..

I got thoroughly told off, for suggesting such an outrageous notion, on that other thread :laugh:

* it might however, help, and we would of course be very welcoming.

There are even possibly, a few pieces of advice that we could offer, by private messaging, that we might otherwise feel uncomfortable discussing on a forum largely populated by not-women.

D

Deleted member 26715

I say @Phaeton you're very brave to suggest the Mrs Scotty joins us in person*..
Not brave at all, although you're comment in the other thread was given slightly tongue in cheek, the reaction to it was a bit, well I can't actually come up with the correct word, but it was just a bit "something" but then you both got a bit defensive so I wasn't going to jump in to try to calm the waters.
There are even possibly, a few pieces of advice that we could offer, by private messaging, that we might otherwise feel uncomfortable discussing on a forum largely populated by not-women.
Agreed it would be good to see more not-men join the forum, it's a strange place at times, both the Internet & Cycle Chat, I have to say I'm mainly on car forums where almost exclusively it is 100% men. The question is where do all the women cyclists go if not here?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If your wife has one leg much stronger than the other then her riding gait is of course going to be uneven, causing her pelvis to tilt to one side more than the other.

Potentially adding to pressure on one side of her undercarriage more than t'other.
I have a leg length difference and I suffer from that. If I get a saddle sore it always seems to be on the same side and I have worn saddles down on one side too. I don't seem to sit centred properly on the bike.

ColinJ twisted on bike.jpg

Well, I tend to ride mostly unpadded at the moment as the majority of my current mileage is on the hybrid, and I've never had the need for creams so can't advise there. But I do like the mid-range MTB capri tights from Decathlon when I'm out on the road bike.

BUT...

1) Saddle positioning is critical - right height, right fore and aft and also nose tilt. A couple of degrees of nose down can help with pain.

2) The right saddle for one's bottom. And that's as much shape as width. Cutouts can help too.

3) Not always the one that's thought of, but do make sure there are no clothing seams in the way when sat in the saddle.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Not brave at all, although you're comment in the other thread was given slightly tongue in cheek, the reaction to it was a bit, well I can't actually come up with the correct word, but it was just a bit "something" but then you both got a bit defensive so I wasn't going to jump in to try to calm the waters.

Agreed it would be good to see more not-men join the forum, it's a strange place at times, both the Internet & Cycle Chat, I have to say I'm mainly on car forums where almost exclusively it is 100% men. The question is where do all the women cyclists go if not here?
Well t'internet, and forums dominated by men in general can be a bit unfriendly to womankind.

A lot of supposedly harmless blokey chat, and alleged 'banter' can come across as downright misogynistic, at times.

More awkward subject matter can get railroaded.

Or is just avoided altogether.

Many women, still don't have the confidence to speak their minds for fear of coming across as too [insert your chosen pejorative term for outspoken woman - there are lots] or not enough something or other.

A reflection of the world out there maybe, but some of the worst aspects emboldened by anonymity maybe??

Anyhow.

Mrs Scotties tender undercarriage must be resolved.

Perhaps some of @vicksters magical salve might have powers of encouragement at least..

Top Bottom