Asking for some sound advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JR03CHOPPER

Regular
I have not ridden in many years. I used to really enjoy it, but the last bike I owned was the WRONG bike. A full suspension Mt Bike that was very uncomfortable and exhausting. It sucked all the joy out of riding. I personally fell into disrepair with medical issues and now am overweight. I would like to get back into biking but am afraid to make the same mistake again. I know I need q very light weight bike so I can store it and transport it. I know I want high end, easy to use gears and shifters. I know I want disc brakes. I want to stay around $2000. I need the comfort features of a comfort bike, the utility of a hybrid, and lightness of a road bike. My riding will mostly be paved and dirt prepared trails.

Here is what I have narrowed down to. A TREK FX Sport Carbon 4 or a Specialized Sirus X 5. Neither of which are available right now. I will need to change out the stems to an adjustable one and I will need a huge pillow seat (at least in the beginning).

Which would you recommend? Are there other options that I am missing? Would there be any other modifications that would be suggested for either bike.

OP
OP
JR03CHOPPER

JR03CHOPPER

Regular
And.....crickets. Nothing? No advice?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello JR and :welcome: to the forum.

Whatever you buy at that price point is going to be good quality and light so I’m sure any of those would be a good choice. Remember that the weight won’t make it any easier on the flat, only up hills. You could cut that budget in half and still have a suitable bike. You’d still get all the features you mention.
You say weight is important for storage. You could also consider a folder, would be heavier but easier to store. Brompton is a well respected but it’s quite heavy. One of the Far Eastern aluminium makes would be lighter but not by much.
Regarding saddles don’t be tempted by ones with padding gel, they’re really not comfortable long term.
If you intend to use the bike to loose weight you need to adopt a diet of some sort, the exercise alone won’t do it.

Good luck.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I'd always recommend test riding before you buy. Something that looks great in the pictures might not be comfortable for you. I know it's difficult with stuff not being available at the minute. Do you have a local bike shop (LBS) nearby where you could sit on a few and maybe test ride?

You probably won't 'need' a pillow seat. Get some padded shorts and chamios cream - build up slowly - and expect some discomfort initially.
Saddles are a very personal thing. I like brooks leather saddles YMMV.

Sharky

Guru
Bike technology has changed tremendously over the last twenty years. As you go up the price range, you get bikes that are very much focused on specific disciplines. Also very easy to buy a bike that is too big/too small. So rather than start at a high end price, might be better to start with a modest price/2nd hand and keep money aside for upgrades or to the ideal bike, once you know exactly what you want.

good luck

Carbon fibre hybrid flatbar style can ride well but are not suitable for fixing a rear luggage rack and often have special or propriatory systems for fitting fenders.
Rack and fenders turn a bicycle from a toy and a fitness tool into useful transportation. If you can use your bike for shopping and errands you will get a lot of milleage without thinking.
Soft saddles don't work for longer rides, they cut off the blood supply. You need firm support under your sit bones.

I think based on what you wrote in requirements, you nailed it with both bike models. I would get it when stock is available, not change anything until you used it for a while.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I think you might benefit by approaching this from a different direction. I lived in Florida for many years and found there were some 'realities' of cycling there which you might like to consider.

First, is staying motivated. The cycling on the whole is pretty boring with temperatures and humidity that can be quite unpleasant. Back here in the UK I can get on my bike and go for a ride by myself at any time of the year because the riding is FUN! In Florida I went out every day because I needed to stay fit and I had committed to meet a group of other cyclists at 5.15pm prompt. This commitment plus their company made the cycling do-able.

The other dominant reality is the wind. Without hills, it's only the wind that differentiates the various legs. And certainly on the east coast, the wind was strong all winter and at times in the summer. Hybrids are hard work into headwinds - the reason Florida cyclists invariably have tri-bars isn't any interest in competition, but simply an example of how they'll do anything to counter those fu***n* head winds.

So as others have said, the weight is probably the least important feature of a Florida bike. I would spend about a third of that amount on a similar Trek aluminum hybrid because once the diet kicks in and you've found your own support network to make things sustainable, your 'dream bike' on which you'll happily lavish your money, might look very different.

OP
OP
JR03CHOPPER

JR03CHOPPER

Regular
Hello JR and :welcome: to the forum.

Whatever you buy at that price point is going to be good quality and light so I’m sure any of those would be a good choice. Remember that the weight won’t make it any easier on the flat, only up hills. You could cut that budget in half and still have a suitable bike. You’d still get all the features you mention.
You say weight is important for storage. You could also consider a folder, would be heavier but easier to store. Brompton is a well respected but it’s quite heavy. One of the Far Eastern aluminium makes would be lighter but not by much.
Regarding saddles don’t be tempted by ones with padding gel, they’re really not comfortable long term.
If you intend to use the bike to loose weight you need to adopt a diet of some sort, the exercise alone won’t do it.

Good luck.
Thank you. Yes I am working with a nutritionist on a special diet. The storage piece was for lifting the bike in and out of my truck and hanging it on the wall in the garage when not in use. Thank you for the tips. I will look into the others you mentioned.

OP
OP
JR03CHOPPER

JR03CHOPPER

Regular
I'd always recommend test riding before you buy. Something that looks great in the pictures might not be comfortable for you. I know it's difficult with stuff not being available at the minute. Do you have a local bike shop (LBS) nearby where you could sit on a few and maybe test ride?
I do have two dealers near by that have bikes to ride. Unfortunately not the models or sizes I was looking at. They are trying to push me to buy what they have on hand. The one I rode in the parking lot was okay. They told me they don't offer fitting though. So I came here for advice.

OP
OP
JR03CHOPPER

JR03CHOPPER

Regular
You probably won't 'need' a pillow seat. Get some padded shorts and chamios cream - build up slowly - and expect some discomfort initially.
Saddles are a very personal thing. I like brooks leather saddles YMMV.
I was looking at Brooks. It's that nerve/bone thing. I uses padded shorts with the Bontrager saddle on the last bike...but you are right...it was more than 20 years ago now. Does the shock in the seat stem help at all?

OP
OP
JR03CHOPPER

JR03CHOPPER

Regular
Carbon fibre hybrid flatbar style can ride well but are not suitable for fixing a rear luggage rack and often have special or propriatory systems for fitting fenders.
Rack and fenders turn a bicycle from a toy and a fitness tool into useful transportation. If you can use your bike for shopping and errands you will get a lot of milleage without thinking.
Soft saddles don't work for longer rides, they cut off the blood supply. You need firm support under your sit bones.
Thank you. That is good information. I wasn't considering that.

Top Bottom