ASL at T-junction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Many thanks for all the responses.

My understanding is that under current law, going over the first white line on a bike at a red light is acrually a traffic offence as all vehicles must stop at the first white line on red. So crossing from the right is technically illegal if you are turning right.

My curiosity piqued, I've just stumbled upon this advice from the Met:

Motorists

Do not enter the ASL box when the light is red – this space is reserved for the safety of cyclists.

Crossing the first or second ASL line when the light is red makes you liable for a £100 fixed penalty, three points on your licence, and endangers vulnerable road users.

If the traffic light changes from green to amber and you cannot safely stop before the first stop line, you may cross the line but must stop before the second stop line (Highway Code rule 178).

Cyclists

Do not cross the second stop line while the traffic signal is red. Contravening a traffic signal is against the law, and could result in a £50 fine

http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Advanced-Stop-Lines/1400018009433/1400018009433

So I guess that implies that you can enter the box on red without necessarily using the entry lane?

Top Bottom