ASL legality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Maybe if the law was enforced a bit more, there'd be fewer people going over the first line. Thing is though, many councils will happily paint such boxes as a way of saying "we are doing something" and then leave it up to the police to enforce.
If that is their reason for painiting them in place, why bother if they do not intend to do anything after putting them in place.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
ASL abuse by motorists doesn't even raise a flicker of outrage with me. There's a lot more to be worried about when you cycle, and stationary vehicles are not high on the list.......and no, I'm not going to insist on my rights by parking myself next to a potentially left-turning skip truck which has jumped the first line.

ASL abuse by motorists doesn't even raise a flicker of outrage with me. There's a lot more to be worried about when you cycle, and stationary vehicles are not high on the list.......and no, I'm not going to insist on my rights by parking myself next to a potentially left-turning skip truck which has jumped the first line.
Indeed, if it was up to me (probably a good job it isn't :rolleyes:) I'd rip them up, most of them just encourage weaker cyclists to filter up the left of left turning traffic, OK if they get to the ASL before the lights go green but if not :ohmy: and even if they do if that vehicle they are sitting in front of is a HGV, there's a strong possibility they'd be sitting in a blind spot :ohmy:

One sees a lot of vehicles encroaching on ASLs. It is credible that in some cases the signal has changed when the vehicle was at the junction in a queue and the driver thought it more prudent to wait than to proceed.

Nonetheless, few road users seem to really understand what the ASL is for and how it should be used. I don't see the need for them, but I begrudgingly accept that there is a tiny possibility that I might be slightly wrong or at least less than 100% right.

Nonetheless, I do not recall ever facing any danger or inconvenience when I've found a motor vehicle in an ASL with a signal at red.

Is there a CC member who'd have died were it not for ASLs, or one who nearly died because someone stopped on one in a car?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I lose count at how many times I see cyclists weave in and out to get the the ASL only for them to wibble and wobble to get going. Yet myself who usually stays in the lane passes by at a rate of knots as I am with the traffic.

Agree with others. It's not important and if anything they need ripping up.

snorri

Legendary Member
Maybe if the law was enforced a bit more, there'd be fewer people going over the first line. Thing is though, many councils will happily paint such boxes as a way of saying "we are doing something" and then leave it up to the police to enforce..
The police may not have the legal powers to enforce or do any more than 'have a word'.
I had it on good authority that one city in Scotland did just that, painted the lines but avoided the expense and delay of going through the procedures essential to give the lines any legal significance. They relied upon the good will or ignorance of motor vehicle drivers to comply, and for the most part it worked..
It could be argued I suppose that the ASLs were seen as a trial, and any cost saving in setting up the trial could be seen as a good thing.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have even seen people stuck in traffic and when the lights go red, they are stopped in the ped crossing. They then think that it is a good idea to reverse into the ASL right where I am sat.

PoliceMadAd

I stopped getting annoyed at drivers in asl's when i became a proffessional driver, id rather stop in one than run a red light and risk my licence. Its not really a danger to me, it doesnt bother me

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Not really a fan of ASL's but they are useful for overtaking a load of slower cyclists in central london. Quicker starts are key ;)

Give and take. If the front is the safest place to be, then that's where I'll go. If they've drifted into the ASL 'technically a RLJ' then I'll drift in front of them, also 'technically a RLJ'. Two wrongs may not make a right, but they do make a 'safe' in this situation. If one of my colleagues wanted to ticket me for it, I'd let them - but them driver behind would have to get one too, and I'd try to contest it at court - I've always wanted a stated case!

(I'd expect to fail btw) ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
I stopped getting annoyed at drivers in asl's when i became a proffessional driver, id rather stop in one than run a red light and risk my licence. Its not really a danger to me, it doesnt bother me
So as a professional driver your willing to run a red light. Motor vehicles are supposed to stop at the first line!

Top Bottom