ASLs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
When I'm on an ASL, I'm occasionally 'joined' by a motor cylist or scooter rider. I believe that technically, they shouldn't be there, but I don't say anything because for me, it isn't causing a problem as such so let life go on eh - ? There have been dashcam footages of cyclists getting very irate with motor cyclists etc. who do go on the ASL though.
Observations - ? :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
Depends on which side of me they stop and their intended direction of travel, when the lights change.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
ASLs are not worth the paint they are made with. Nobody observes them and I don't believe they actually help cyclists anyway.
Even had a nurse who had just knocked off from the local hospital trying to bully/push me out of one last week on my way home from work. Ironically, the same hospital who gave me excellent treatment after an rta that resulted in me suffering a broken neck and fractured skull a few years ago.
You cannot make it up!

Slick

Guru
I saw a motorbike rider knocked off his bike this morning, not at lights but on a roundabout. I know its not the same but it illustrates my point that they are vulnerable road users and deserve a bit of help negotiating rush-hour traffic the same as us. I usually strike up a bit of a conversation about how much drivers gate us using the bike box in the first place. :laugh:

ASLs are not worth the paint they are made with. Nobody observes them and I don't believe they actually help cyclists anyway.
Even had a nurse who had just knocked off from the local hospital trying to bully/push me out of one last week on my way home from work. Ironically, the same hospital who gave me excellent treatment after an rta that resulted in me suffering a broken neck and fractured skull a few years ago.
You cannot make it up!
20 years, talk about doing an ASL would be met with "how dare you" by the planning, councils and the general pubic. Now it is nearly everywhere. I think it makes so much difference for cyclists in big cities and heavy traffic.

PK99

Legendary Member
Depends on which side of me they stop and their intended direction of travel, when the lights change.

I was toward the left centre of a cycle box, motorcyclist to my right. He turned left across me when the lights changed.

I've seen the same many times at local lights and box at a tram crossing

mustang1

Guru
It does not bother me. Besides,I'm in no hurry to get to the front of the queue and will frequently stay behind a car if I think the traffic lights change to green quite soon.

Drago

Legendary Member
The law is the law. We can't selectively decide who gets to break it. If a motorbicyclist did that to me id reach across and switch off their ignition.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
20 years, talk about doing an ASL would be met with "how dare you" by the planning, councils and the general pubic. Now it is nearly everywhere. I think it makes so much difference for cyclists in big cities and heavy traffic.
Yes they are everywhere, but almost universally ignored by motorists here in Manchester. They either don't know or don't care that they are crossing 'their' stop line on red. :sad:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Yes they are everywhere, but almost universally ignored by motorists here in Manchester. They either don't know or don't care that they are crossing 'their' stop line on red. :sad:

Yep, pretty much ignored everywhere in Greater Manchester.
And the police don't want to take the opportunity to enforce the law, despite ASLs being part of the online reporting system.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Drivers here in Sheffield tend to go sort of halfway into them, but then a lot of drivers don't seem to know where the front of their car is and stop about six feet behind the line anyway, so they probably think they're fully inside it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have noticed this behaviour, and it doesn't bother me. It's not something I can control. As @classic33 and @PK99 note it's important to keep an eye on them as they might cut across you.

ASLs always strike me as being a bit pointless, and half the time they are full of cars, so if they get abused by motorcyclists I'm not going to lose any sleep.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yep, pretty much ignored everywhere in Greater Manchester.
And the police don't want to take the opportunity to enforce the law, despite ASLs being part of the online reporting system.
Actually quite common to stop over the second line as well. I think the 'ambiguity' (even though there is none) relating to the stop line has diluted the absoluteness of the stop line in these people's minds, so they simply ignore both.....
And don't get me started on the police! As far as motoring offences, there are none. Unless you do something that gets picked up by a speeding or traffic light camera you can drive however you want.

Top Bottom