ASLs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Do you ride regularly in London? They help a lot there, allows you to get / keep ahead of the traffic , priority right turns etc etc.

they can be a bit pointless in very light traffic
I'm not in London regularly so of course not. I have ridden there and the ASLs alone seemed as worthless as everywhere else, and probably more routinely invaded by motorists than elsewhere, especially around Victoria. I'm comfortable getting ahead of traffic by overtaking queuing motorists, waiting beside the gap between cars 1 and 2 and merging as we pull away... and if you're not comfortable overtaking queuing motorists, an ASL itself doesn't help.

Surely ASLs don't give you priority making right turns? Where's that in the highway code or law?

What I feel helps at some London ASLs is a cyclist-only green light stage and a mandatory cycle lane after the lights, but you do not need ASLs to have those, as seen in some places on Whitechapel Road.

sasquath

Not sure about the paint bit. There's no way I'd trust cars to give way to a cycle lane due to road markings if I was riding across a side road on one. I'd end up slowing right down at every junction. Actually, of course, I'd just stay on the road and avoid the extra hassle, effort and danger. The only way such could work is with a raised cycleway forming a road hump on the road, as well as paint, I think? But you clearly know much more about this stuff than I do.
It does take good few years for divers to respect the cycle lanes at T junctions. It took ~10 years in 400k city with ferocious policing and couple well publicised(local radio, TV , and press coverage )court cases ruling in favour of cyclist t-boning a car.

Hopeless effort in London, or any UK city since we have 1 copper per 1 milion drivers here...

sasquath

Intruigued by this.

All lights and roundabout bypassing cycleways I've ever come across involve waiting twice rather than once (central reservation), and dismounting or at least wiggling around multiple 90 degree bends. I wouldn't dream of ever using one.

Are there good examples of such?
I have some examples in my shithole of a town. They run under roundabouts and connecting roads.

sasquath

Intruigued by this.

All lights and roundabout bypassing cycleways I've ever come across involve waiting twice rather than once (central reservation), and dismounting or at least wiggling around multiple 90 degree bends. I wouldn't dream of ever using one.

Are there good examples of such?
I have some examples in my shithole of a town. They run under roundabouts and connecting roads.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yes but imagine if they had introduced lots of separate cycle lanes in the '30s.

They would nearly all have been eaten by road-widening schemes in the '60s and '70s. The few that remain would have been unmaintained since the '30s other than to have some cursory bike symbols painted on them.

We'd probably have been banned from the actual road proper as well

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
The other survives to this day,
This is the very route I use to work - ! This route begins at Roundhouse r'bout on the edge of Norwich and follows the old A.11 to Thickthorn r'bout about 500 metres further on. Negotiate two dual carriageway crossings ( with light control which I never see the need to use if you simply use sensible timing judgement ) and then it's shared cycle path all the way to Wymondham - ! A recent stretch on the western edge of Hethersett has recently been created and as it's separated from the main road by a substantial hedge and ditch with fields on the other side, it makes a very pleasant part, especially early morning or late at night. :okay:

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Apparently, a while back a car was occupying an ASL somewhere so a cyclist stopped in front of said car and was done by a nearby peeler who ignored the car because the cyclist had stopped in front of the stop line at the lights. :whistle:

DRM

Guru
Had a motorbike ride along the cycle path in order to then sit at the ASL, undertaking a queue of vehicles indicating a left turn, he’d have been in deep doo doo had the lights changed halfway through this stupid manoeuvre as I’m sure he’d have been left hooked

Svendo

Guru
Yarp. I think it also warrants a public service advert too? You don't see many of them nowadays, but something about cyclists and ASLs would be handy. We have signs on some of our roundabouts saying watch out for cyclists and keep 1.5m, but I'm not sure it's the best method/location of getting safety information to drivers who probably aren't looking at signs anyway
Charlie says: “ YOU’RE NOT A F@&£NG BICYCLE”
Something like that?

Top Bottom