Asparagus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
So we're into the British Asparagus season.

I love asparagus. But I think importing it from Peru and Mexico is obscene.

So I basically eat enough to last me the year in the two to three months it's in season.

My favourite is with poached eggs and hollandaise.

Or has a snack wrapped in Parma ham, seasoned liberally with black pepper and grilled (other more wallet friendly versions of ham are available).

Or stuck in mash, bangers and mash style.

Does anyone else have similar asparagus tastes and are you willing to share some dishes?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Steamed in Butter with Anchovies :hungry:

Overrated and over priced IMO.

Regardless, I agree with OP that it is obscene for it to be imported from the new world. Much like other items.

Preferred method of cooking is lightly shave stems, place on tray, drizzle olive oil and bake till done. Serve immediately with a few shavings of parmigiano.

And, most importantly, to be washed down with a crisp, slightly aromatic white wine e.g. gavi, bacchus but under no circumstances sauvignon blanc (unless it’s an understated and french)!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Lovely stuff. Currently in season on both of our allotment plots, but still can't get enough of it.

Used to grow it in the garden at home. Ground to Bbq in about 20 seconds. Can't get much fresher than that!

Now the more important question, how does your pee smell?!

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Now the more important question, how does your pee smell?!

Like burnt rubber!

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Overrated and over priced IMO.

Regardless, I agree with OP that it is obscene for it to be imported from the new world. Much like other items.

The thing that really annoys me is despite being in season in the UK. And presumably across Norther Europe they still insist on importing it from half way around the world at the same time as offering UK asparagus.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've recently been doing some work on asparagine. It was the first amino acid to be isolated, you know. Non-essential and vital for nervous system development.

Top Bottom