Aspestos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If the material is exposed and is low density blocks of a brittle, creamy coloured plastery material, which is soft and easy to scratch, it's not asbestos, it's a refractory gypsum.

If it is encased in an outer shell and and is a feathery crumbly white material then it is asbestos. I can't imagine that asbestos would have been used because it doesn't have the structural strength (unless mixed into cement as a reinforcer for sheets) to be used in an exposed application, especially with the massive thermal expansion and contraction of a kiln. It would have to be enclosed in some kind of retaining material and the only thing I can think of would be steel mesh, which would simply melt in a kiln. When used to insulate pipework it was always enclosed in an outer wrapper to hold it in place.

Okay?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
It’s a small furnace, so an hours work at the most, to get asbestosis you would have to be working in the industry for years and I do mean years. As all ready stated wet it all down before dismantling, job done

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
numbnuts said:
It’s a small furnace, so an hours work at the most, to get asbestosis you would have to be working in the industry for years and I do mean years. As all ready stated wet it all down before dismantling, job done

And transport/relocation,disposal?

ASC1951

Guru
Mr Pig said:
Someone wants me to help them move an old, home-made potters kiln. ....He knows someone who wants it.
There is your answer, for heaven's sake.

"Here it is, mate. It's free but you have to come and dismantle it because we don't want to break it for you."

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Rigid Raider said:
If it is encased in an outer shell and and is a feathery crumbly white material then it is asbestos.

That's exactly what the stuff on the door looks like, pure white after all these years. The guy who made it is dead and it's at least thirty years old, probably more like forty. He was quite resourceful, it would not surprise me at all if he managed to get hold of aspestos.

Looks like it will be taken away by professionals, thank you for the advice :0)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
numbnuts said:
or hug a man who did. And, before we go any further, disposing of asbestos is governed by law.

The regs are relaxed if Mr. Pig does the work without payment. He should call the local council as a first step and find out where he can take it. If he wants to. But...........

I worked in a building which had a low unprotected asbestos roof for six years. I'm still here to tell the tale. But there is absolutely no way I'd remove something that had friable material which might have a proportion of asbestos in it without checking it out - and calling for the experts if the testers told me that was needed. I appreciate that floor tiles and toilet cisterns are taken to the dump each and every day - but the asbestos content in these is minimal.

Oh - watch out for asbestos rope at the junctions

ACS

Legendary Member
My father’s death was caused by asbestos related cancer (Mesothelioma).

Dormant for many years, 12 weeks from diagnoses to hospice.

Me, I would not even go within a mile of the job

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I honestly wouldn't f*ck about with anything that even might be asbestos! You only need to inhale one fibre and that could cause you to suffer a lingering, painful death.

There used to be an asbestos mill on the hillside above Hebden Bridge. It was one of the biggest local employers. Hundreds of local people have died as a result of working there. It was finally closed down 30 years ago but I still regularly see reports in the local paper of people dying of asbestosis.

If you have time, watch The Dust at Acre Mill (1972) by World in Action on YouTube: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

Also, Alice - Fight For Life: Part 1, Part 2.

:tongue:

postman

Legendary Member
Big letters so you understand .

DO NOT MESS WITH ASBESTOS..

Unless you want a great big whacking fine from your local council.If they find out.

Don't go anywhere near it.

Cannot go into too much more detail.

Top Bottom