Aspestos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Well I'll tell you another worry. A few years ago we decided to rip the plaster and Artex off one wall in the TV room to expose the old brick as a feature wall. I basically took a bolster to it and knocked the lot off the wall. I kept the doors shut and put two large fans over the window to suck the dust outside but as you can imagine, the dust went everywhere.

At the time I did not even know that they had put aspestos into Artex or I wouldn't have done it! Now I'm trying to figure out if the Artex was done before or after they stopped putting aspestos in it. I think it must be borderline. I know for sure I breathed in a ton of that stuff and the rest of the family will have got some too, but too late, what can you do? I'm thinking of getting some of the Artex tested for piece of mind but my wife says what's the point.

Considering that asbestos kills more people than road accidents I think the government has done sod all to warn people about it. There are thousands of tons of the stuff still in buildings and homes all over the country and most people know relatively little about it so each year four thousand people die needlessly for want of a little information.

Night Train

Maker of Things
It is simple. If in doubt then don't touch it and get professional advice first.

It will be no use to you if you are ill several years later to say some people on the internet who didn't see it said it was ok.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Mr Pig said:
Well I'll tell you another worry. A few years ago we decided to rip the plaster and Artex off one wall in the TV room to expose the old brick as a feature wall. I basically took a bolster to it and knocked the lot off the wall. I kept the doors shut and put two large fans over the window to suck the dust outside but as you can imagine, the dust went everywhere.

At the time I did not even know that they had put aspestos into Artex or I wouldn't have done it! Now I'm trying to figure out if the Artex was done before or after they stopped putting aspestos in it. I think it must be borderline. I know for sure I breathed in a ton of that stuff and the rest of the family will have got some too, but too late, what can you do? I'm thinking of getting some of the Artex tested for piece of mind but my wife says what's the point.

Considering that asbestos kills more people than road accidents I think the government has done sod all to warn people about it. There are thousands of tons of the stuff still in buildings and homes all over the country and most people know relatively little about it so each year four thousand people die needlessly for want of a little information.
please take a look at this..
http://www.asbestoswatchdog.co.uk/resources/FactSheet_TexturedDecorativeCoatings.pdf
Local authorities are moving elderly people out of old peoples' homes and in to temporary accommodation so that they can remove the Artex. Given the fragility of some of the old folk, they're probably killing them off faster by moving them around - and the risk from TDCs is tiny. Please bear in mind also that toilet cisterns and floor tiles can contain asbestos. I think that testing the artex would be sensible - the risk may be tiny at most, but it would be nice to know if it was zero

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

dellzeqq said:
I think that testing the artex would be sensible - the risk may be tiny at most, but it would be nice to know if it was zero

The problem is that we've already done the deed so if it turned out the Artex did contain asbestos we would have live with the knowledge of the possible consequences. But wondering about it is really getting to me.

postman

Legendary Member
On the estate i grew up on .I went to visit an old mate of my late dad.

Only to find his wife has recently died.And he was now in a care home.The council house was undergoing a full going over.

They had been in it since 1950.New electrics were going in .And the whole back wall behind the cooker had gone.It had been a whole sheet of asbestos.and the bath panel was believed to be asbestos also.
Must have cost a fortune.And that is every house on that estate.

Top Bottom