Assaulted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's equally appalling that self appointed cycling vigilantes are terrorising the assailant and his wife. The cycling community can't claim the moral high ground on this one.
the only evidence that there were any threats came from two proven liars. And I notice the motoring community still haven't condemned the actions of the Yorkshire Ripper. For shame on the whole driving community.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What a farce.

Kookas

Über Member
Don't know yet. It's a feature on cycling for Central News. Their man got my details from a local councillor and didn't know about my scrape. It's still being put together but they'll let me know when it's being aired.

Sounds like you've become the media's go-to on cycling - essentially Birmingham's Magnatom.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Read back through then thread.

From my recollection when the lady at the shop was asked did she know who this person was she denied it and claimed that the jumpers with the shop logo on could be bought by anyone. I think then someone managed to find her facebook account which showed pictures that she was actually married to him. She has not exactly helped herself by the denial or the shocking lack of privacy settings on facebook.

However anyone making or sending abusive or threatening e mails is imho just as bad as the thug in the video.

OP
OP
B

Black Country Ste

Nothing in yesterday's papers came from me. Katie Thompson of HotSpot Media lifted photos from my Facebook account and wrote a sensationalist story without speaking to me, using old quotes that have become redundant as my understanding of WTF is going on has developed. Which is why I've licensed the video to Caters News and doing any media through them. I don't really want to but by playing the game a little bit I can retain some control and try to push the cycling agenda a little bit. They got onto HotSpot and threw their weight around a bit, getting some stuff pulled from the papers. Next time I speak to Caters I'll see about getting paid for what has been published. My friend is upset because one of her photos of me has been used without credit (one of the best ever taken of me).

Martin Porter's blog made some good points. I wonder what might have happened if I uploaded the video before reporting it. Assuming it spread in the same way there would have been some real pressure on Plod to charge him. But on the other hand such exposure may have made the video inadmissible as evidence. And then I'm relying on witness statements, which can be conflicting and unreliable so then there's still no guarantee of a conviction.

I think I did things the right way but sometimes you can't really do right for doing wrong.

Sounds like you've become the media's go-to on cycling - essentially Birmingham's Magnatom.

They'll soon realise what a bad idea that is. Face for radio and a voice for mime.

Assuming it spread in the same way there would have been some real pressure on Plod to charge him. But on the other hand such exposure may have made the video inadmissible as evidence.

Nope, still admissible. The defence could try arguing that he was 'already convicted' and couldn't have a 'fair trial' - but that would be very unlikely, as it would be mags not crown, and hey, they manage well enough on 'sensationalist' murder trials, I think they can cope with a thug in a car.

You did things the way you did for the right reasons, and you are to be praised for that. If the police response really would have been different due to media hype, then we would truly deserve criticism for that.

lit

I used the term 'cycling community' in the loosest possible way. Membership is by association.
What rubbish, I have nothing to do with how other people ride and they me. Do you blame / associate every driver with every bad / good one?

swansonj

Guru
What rubbish, I have nothing to do with how other people ride and they me. Do you blame / associate every driver with every bad / good one?
Err... At one level, yes. When I drive, I am associating myself with an activity and the other people who participate in that activity, whether I like it or not. Ditto cycling.

When yet another concrete bypass is driven through green fields, I am part of the community that brought that about.

When yet another London driver curses a cyclist shooting a gap, or another pedestrian forms the impression that they were nearly knocked over by a pavement cyclist, or another resident of Box Hill perceives it as unsafe because of the speed that groups of cyclists travel down it, I am part of the community that brought that about.

Community. It's part of being human. Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
What rubbish, I have nothing to do with how other people ride and they me.

That is not disputed. You could be a crap rider compared to the exemplary riders that I normally encounter. :thumbsup:

Do you blame / associate every driver with every bad / good one?

Just stop and think. What do you do while being out on a bike that distinguishes you as being different from any other cyclist out on the road? You are visually associated with the body of cyclists and inherit, whether you like or not, the characteristics bestowed upon cyclists by whoever sees you. It's called generalisation. Learn to live with it.

Go over to the Commuting forum and after reading the posting there and watching the video nasties tell me that the posters there see motorists as benevolent, cyclist loving, law abiding citizens.

Top Bottom