Assos or Rapha?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

I've got a little bit of money burning its way out of my wallet.

I want to buy a quality jersey but Unsure which one to go for. What are people's experience of said manufactuerers and their CLothing?

simonali

Guru
If you'd said shorts, I'd've said Assos for sure. I do have an Assos s/s jersey or 2, but they don't appear to be much better than cheaper alternatives, whereas the shorts are supremely comfy. I haven't really looked at the Rapha stuff for a long time, but I'd assume it's a lot more stylish than the Assos gear?

yello

Ah, it's been a while. I guess we need this debate periodically!

Depends on what you're after. As above ^, for bib shorts etc, no question - Assos. Rapha's softshell jacket is excellent but I can't compare it to the Assos equivalent, not having one! I rate Rapha's sportswool jerseys too but I'm not sure Assos do anything like them. I picked up some Rapha arm warmers in their sale and I'm impressed... for £5 I couldn't really fail to be!

gavintc

Guru
I have a bit of both; Assos and Rapha. I like the styling of rapha and their shirts (sportswool) feel good quality. Some cycling friends have other rapha tops and once again, they look smart, are well made and if you can get them at a discount, might be worth it.

Assos, make excellent bib shorts and more technical tops; gilet, winter jackets etc. However, their normal shirts/jerseys are just pretty normal nylon based tops. I have one and whilst I wear it, I do not think it is any better or worse than many other in my drawer. My wife and I both have the Assos winter jacket - excellent kit, warm and wind resistant. Mine is hanging in my office right now.

So in conclusion, I personally do not think Assos summer weight shirts are anything special and I like the Rapha shirts more.

OP
OP
walker

walker

I never really thought about getting some shorts. and both are cheapish shorts. Thanks all, I think I've changed my mind on the jersey and will try some shorts

amrushton

Assos mille shorts esp. if you can find them on offer are superb as are their tights. rapha base layers (wool) are superb. Still some on offer on the site. their softshell jkt is a superb bit of kit, v.understated as is the new winter jersey. the Assos Gator jkt is possibly the hottest jacket ever made for cycling, a superb piece of cold weather kit (now discontinued-but poss available somewhere). For the technical stuff, I'd go Assos, but for base layers and understated look - Rapha

simonali

Guru
BJB said:
Agreed! Rapha has a certain ponce factor about it.

:becool: That's why I'm not familiar with their range. When they first arrived on the scene they only made a few bits and bobs, it was all Henry Ford colour and very expensive. Not really looked at the stuff since.

monnet

Guru
My personal preference is for Giordana. I actually think it's better quality than Assos. Rapha is just poncy.

Top Bottom