Assos shorts..........are they worth the money??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyg52

Yes, on more than one occasion i have cycled 600 km in the same pair of shorts, no problems and if they start to pinch sudocream
solves the problem.

DRHysted

Guru
I think this is a personal thing.
Personally I prefer my £70 DHBs to the £120 Assos.
There's nothing wrong with the Assos, my backside just prefers the DHBs.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
What's wrong with the Endura you have? I find a pair of shorts comfortable for 100km is also ok for 100 miles. It's not my rear that finds the extra turns of the pedals hard going
As I said.....its my sit bones that suffer. I need another pair of shorts and am hoping to find even more xomfort than the Endra.
I must say......the general fit and comfort of the Pearl is good.....but my bum was crying after 30 miles.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My most comfortable bibs are the cheapest I paid, DHB. More comfy for long distance then the Schutt and Castelli bibs I have and paid a lot more for.

I have had lots of problems with my butt in the last year or so which is more due to me having a accident over a year ago and has changed the way I sit on the bike, I have had bike and saddle fits which have relieved most of it. So if the op is having butt problems after 30 miles in my opinion its probably got something to do with the way you sit on the bike/saddle ( ok we tend to base opinions on our own experiences) . Never had a problem before even using the cheapet of shorts. I bought Assos bib's and shorts ( Halibu and F1 Mille) to help relieve my butt problems and yes the pad is significantly thicker than my gores, decathlon, castelli and vittesse club shorts/tights.
I am very happy with them and just got a brand new set of bib tights free off assos as they took too long to do my free crash repair ( result there they kept the damaged ones) .
Most significantly for me is I am a shortie the Assos kit fits me like a glove, the tights are the only ones I have that dont wrinkle like Nora Batty's tights and the shorts are the only ones that dont sit on top of my knee cap I actually have a gap to my knee.
So if the op is a tall person you might want to buy the longer leg length shorts.
In my experience ( only had them since xmas) I dont think they are going to be that long wearing, the seat area is quite shiny already on the tights as I wear them the most, maybe thats cos I move a lot on the saddle which is probably the seat of my problems anyway. Still need chamois cream to keep my butt pain free, but I did 107 miles last weekend in them completely pain free.

As I said.....its my sit bones that suffer. I need another pair of shorts and am hoping to find even more xomfort than the Endra.
I must say......the general fit and comfort of the Pearl is good.....but my bum was crying after 30 miles.
If your sit bones are tender after a ride, I'm afraid you're gonna have to harden up. No amount of padding can help there. The load is over a small area and high. Like I said, pinch all the padding you can get, close your eyes and tell me one is different from the other. If your sitbones are chafing, that's a different matter altogether but again, padding won't help and may even be detrimental.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
If your sit bones are tender after a ride, I'm afraid you're gonna have to harden up. No amount of padding can help there. The load is over a small area and high. Like I said, pinch all the padding you can get, close your eyes and tell me one is different from the other. If your sitbones are chafing, that's a different matter altogether but again, padding won't help and may even be detrimental.
No chafing at all fortunately.......just tenderness is that small area.
I agree with the "hardening up" but if you took that to its conclusion you may as well ride without any padding and just get used to it. I do believe that padding is important and they are not all alike e.g. my cheap Funkier shorts are just not as good as my Endura. I wear the Funkier if doing, say 20-25 but my Endura for anything over that.
I also believe that getting older doesn't help. When I was 15 I could ride all day with no problem but since taking it up again 3 years ago (aged 66) I have struggled with that problem.
This winter I have forced myself to keep riding every week/fortnight..........even if just 10-15 milers and that has helped with the problem.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I think so. I started with cheap Aldi shorts that gave me terribly painful saddle sores. Next, I got some Italian Giordana bibs... they were £65 to buy. They improved the problem considerably. Then I got a pair of Shutt VR Pro, more expensive and less comfortable.... they didn't last very well either. I had almost given up when I went for a pair of Assos that were on sale. After a 3 weeks I had no more saddle sores at all. Since then I bought another 3 pairs.
I still have issues with my sitbones on long rides on my road bike but that is a saddle issue. Same bibs and different bike / saddle and no problems.

A good fit it's very important I think, perhaps more than the pad.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have had lots of problems with my butt in the last year or so which is more due to me having a accident over a year ago and has changed the way I sit on the bike, I have had bike and saddle fits which have relieved most of it. So if the op is having butt problems after 30 miles in my opinion its probably got something to do with the way you sit on the bike/saddle .
Most significantly for me is I am a shortie ,
the seat area is quite shiny already on the tights as I wear them the most, maybe thats cos I move a lot on the saddle which is probably the seat of my problems anyway. .
Some interesting points.
When I had a bike fit (where I got the saddle from) he asked "have you got a back problem". I told him I damaged it when I was 20 yrs old and they told me I could end up in a wheel chair. It has actually got better but I have one leg slightly shorter and he had picked up on that saying "you rock as you peddle"............he suggested the best saddle to address that problem.
And I am a 'shorty' at 5'7"

Top Bottom