Asthetics of a 52x18?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Christopher

Über Member
hi all
Anyone have an opinion on whether the above rather odd gear would look like on a fixed with a traditional 58cm frame (I mean a conversion of an old road bike)? I have an old steel 52/42 chainset, the big ring is mated to the RH crank so can't undo it to replace it with a smaller chainring.

Currently the fixed is in bits in a cardboard box as this long winter wore out the transmission completely, I have lots of other options for getting it back on the road but would like to go to a steel chainring and can't find one in 1/8" with 110mm BCD, but I don't want to end up with a dog's dinner either.

peejay78

it wouldn't look too odd, it is a big ring, it will look like what it is, a cheap way of converting a frame, and it's not uncommon.

it's a big gear though, 75 inches or so.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
52 x 18 - I use about that for starting from lights on the road bikes (53 x 19) - not quick off the mark but you can spin it up nicely at about 20 mph.....

Hope you don't have any big hills though !

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It might look a bit like this. It's a freewheel bodge, but might give you an idea of the aesthetics.....

OP
OP
C

Christopher

Über Member
Food for thought, thanks a lot for the replies - well yes it will look a bit wrong, but it's cheap and steel, as all I would need is the sprocket. Hilly where I live (Preston), used to run it in 39x15, that looked terrible but was also cheap. I struggle on hills so tend to go about 67-70" gear.

Alternativey I could use my spare Camapag Centuar 170mm cranks with a 135mm BCD, lots of choice there in 1/8" and it'll look nice. As I don't need the bike at the mo, I am in no hurry to build it up again, especially as I have pinched bits off it (gaurds and brake levers) for the new Audax machine.

bobajobrob

52x18 is a 76" gear, so may be a bit high, especially if it's hilly. 48x18 looks good on a M-L frame and works out about 70".

bobajobrob

I almost got up Aggs Hill just round the corner on 48x18, but that was when I was lighter. It's a 1 in 5. I have no chance now.

Top Bottom