1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asthetics of a 52x18?

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Christopher, 12 Jun 2008.

1. Christopher

Christopher Über Member

hi all
    Anyone have an opinion on whether the above rather odd gear would look like on a fixed with a traditional 58cm frame (I mean a conversion of an old road bike)? I have an old steel 52/42 chainset, the big ring is mated to the RH crank so can't undo it to replace it with a smaller chainring.

Currently the fixed is in bits in a cardboard box as this long winter wore out the transmission completely, I have lots of other options for getting it back on the road but would like to go to a steel chainring and can't find one in 1/8" with 110mm BCD, but I don't want to end up with a dog's dinner either.

2. peejay78

peejay78 Well-Known Member

it wouldn't look too odd, it is a big ring, it will look like what it is, a cheap way of converting a frame, and it's not uncommon.

it's a big gear though, 75 inches or so.

3. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

52 x 18 - I use about that for starting from lights on the road bikes (53 x 19) - not quick off the mark but you can spin it up nicely at about 20 mph.....

Hope you don't have any big hills though !

4. rustychisel

rustychisel Well-Known Member

looks okay, my partners fixed is 52 x 20.

5. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

It might look a bit like this. It's a freewheel bodge, but might give you an idea of the aesthetics.....

6. OP
    OP
    Christopher

Christopher Über Member

Food for thought, thanks a lot for the replies - well yes it will look a bit wrong, but it's cheap and steel, as all I would need is the sprocket. Hilly where I live (Preston), used to run it in 39x15, that looked terrible but was also cheap. I struggle on hills so tend to go about 67-70" gear.

Alternativey I could use my spare Camapag Centuar 170mm cranks with a 135mm BCD, lots of choice there in 1/8" and it'll look nice. As I don't need the bike at the mo, I am in no hurry to build it up again, especially as I have pinched bits off it (gaurds and brake levers) for the new Audax machine.

7. bobajobrob

bobajobrob New Member

52x18 is a 76" gear, so may be a bit high, especially if it's hilly. 48x18 looks good on a M-L frame and works out about 70".

8. simon l& and a half

simon l& and a half New Member

I had a 52/18 on the Kirk. It looked OK. It just lacked the other seventeen gears it now has to make it into a proper bike.

In all seriousness, it did look OK, and it did get up hills.

9. bobajobrob

bobajobrob New Member

I almost got up Aggs Hill just round the corner on 48x18, but that was when I was lighter. It's a 1 in 5. I have no chance now.