Astonishing gigs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion playing their album "Orange" at Camden Town as part of the All Tomorrow's Parties series of gigs. Great gig. They played Orange, which is maybe 50 minutes long, then went off and got changed before coming back to play maybe two more hours of material. They just looked like three blokes having a really good time together and musically they were bang on.
Unfortunately I'd eaten some dodgy mussels the night before so I was less Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and more John Winder Arse Explosion, but even with having to go to the loo every ten minutes, and actually being ill enough to be off work for a week afterwards, I still enjoyed the gig.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Ruthless Blues a few weeks back at the Bull and Butcher in Whetstone. What a great band.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I was a t the first Madstock, Finsbury Park 1992. A marvellous day indeed, if you're into that nutty vibe! Crowd dancing during "One Step Beyond" produced an earth tremor measuring 4.5 on Richter scale.
xx(

NickM

Veteran
Kirstie said:
...Very very few gigs I've been to have had this effect - another was seeing James at the Liverpool Royal Court theatre in 1992...

James???

Anyway, the best things I've seen recently were Simon Rattle and the Berlin Phil playing Bruckner 7 at last year's Proms, and Barenboim conducting the VPO in Bruckner 4 this year. As you'll have gathered, I like Bruckner. These musicians have his music in their veins. Before last year, I didn't go to any live music for years, having grown to prefer recordings; but the Proms seem to have given me the bug again.

I'd, really, really like to see Jaune Toujours live - their most recent studio album, Barricade, is their best yet, I think. But it has to be in Belgium.

Top Bottom