Astronomical advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

Arch said:
I have bins, but I don't think they're very good ones, so everything is a bit shakey/fuzzy. Or it might be my eyes...
Errrr... tried the focus knob have we? :biggrin:

Seriously, I'd suggest a good pair of 10x50s, the ideal size for starting with. Don't go for zoom binos, nor ones with image stabilisation (whatever that does - makes them much more expensive anyway). Aim to spend about £150. And don't be tempted to go for higher magnification (i.e. more than 10: the number before the 'x' is the mag, the number after is the objective lens size). With high mag. you'll never be able to hold things steady.

gbb said:
Bear in mind it may not be a star at all...it could be a satellite.
More probably an aircraft. Many satellites are indeed visible to the naked eye but hardly prominent: though they do have an annoying habit of crossing the field of view of the camera as I'm in the middle of taking a piccy! :tongue: (so do aircraft ;):ohmy:!:ohmy: ). If you see a not-too-bright dot of light passing quite slowly across the night sky, and then it suddenly vanishes, you've got a satellite for sure: what's happened is that it's moved into the Earth's shadow.

Arch said:
I should point out that I've recently asked Pete for aome astro help by PM, so he's not just randomly picking on me....

I have bins, but I don't think they're very good ones, so everything is a bit shakey/fuzzy. Or it might be my eyes...

hi arch

i like my smallish 10x50's, i reckon they're about the limit for holding without the aid of a tripod. what size are your bins, if i may be so bold ;).my bigger ones 15x70 are nice but heavy so i use a tripod and home made parallelogram mount.

binomount1.jpg

maybe you have a camera tripod you could try? the basic bino mounts to attach bins to tripod are quite cheep as i remember.
when i cant be bothered to set anything up, i just lay back in a deck chair with the bino's resting against me -job done :biggrin:
this is quite a new hobby for me really, and i'm still finding my way some what. i found light pollution to be more of an issue than i thought, i know everyone puts there security lights on the minute i get anything set up.:ohmy: i have to admit that i find the subject quite difficult once i get much past the basics. the good thing is, that it's still really enjoyable even at this level.
i hope you get into it arch, it's good fun :ohmy:

clear skies , velocidad :tongue:

gbb

Legendary Member
Pete said:
Errrr... tried the focus knob have we? :biggrin:

Seriously, I'd suggest a good pair of 10x50s, the ideal size for starting with. Don't go for zoom binos, nor ones with image stabilisation (whatever that does - makes them much more expensive anyway). Aim to spend about £150. And don't be tempted to go for higher magnification (i.e. more than 10: the number before the 'x' is the mag, the number after is the objective lens size). With high mag. you'll never be able to hold things steady.

More probably an aircraft. Many satellites are indeed visible to the naked eye but hardly prominent: though they do have an annoying habit of crossing the field of view of the camera as I'm in the middle of taking a piccy! :tongue: (so do aircraft ;):ohmy:!:ohmy: ). If you see a not-too-bright dot of light passing quite slowly across the night sky, and then it suddenly vanishes, you've got a satellite for sure: what's happened is that it's moved into the Earth's shadow.

No...the ones i see are definatey satellites. The speed and brightness are the keys. It moves slowly to the naked eye, and you have to find a reference point to mark it against. A few minutes later it will have moved quite significantly againt the marker, but you may not notice it with a glance. Obviously this is much less travel than even a distant plane.
The other thing (and the most obvious thing) is the brightness compared with all the other stars. Sharp and bright.

jonathan ellis

Well i dragged the family out to stand on Ealing Common
and we saw the ISS go across in an arc from SW to SE (or ESE)
it went into the shadow of the earth at exactly the time it said it would (on Heavens above) and it was really over southern France which is quite far really - surprised we could see it.

Now i want an Iridium Flare

Pete

Not worth having an argument about what's a satellite, what's an aircraft! I have often mistaken the one for the other ;) , and I'm fairly - er - used to the skies!

Bear in mind, those of you who are keen to take up satellite-watching (and this is an activity growing in interest among many people, and can be done even in areas with significant light pollution), that there is only one really bright satellite. This is, of course, the ISS (which is far and above the largest in orbit) which when well placed for the observer can get about as bright as Jupiter. None of the others* get above magnitude 2, this is about the same as the stars in the Plough, for instance. But well within the reach of amateurs! So now you know what you're looking for, go to the excellent heavens-above site for the info, and happy watching!

*Apart from iridiums, mentioned above - but these are only brilliant for a few seconds - bit like a meteor.

gbb

Legendary Member
I often thought i'd like to study the heavens, but i know too many people (well three actually ;)) who did so...and got bored within a couple of months of starting.
Spent a fortune on equipment....

I did this with RC cars..spent a fortune, got immense pleasure for a year, then it all sits in the cupboard reminding me of a frivolous moment :wacko:...i decided i wouldnt go down the same road with astronomy.

The satellite business...it never occured to me that what ive seen is (almost certainly) always the ISS. I assumed all satellites would be equally distinct...there you go, 49 and still learning :tongue:

Pete

Please don't lose heart, GBB or anyone else: the more people get bitten by the bug and keep it up, the happier I shall be. I know it can be depressing to be thwarted by bad weather and light pollution, but isn't the same true of cycling: you spend a lot and then can't get out on it! £150, just for starters, may sound like a lot, but you all spend many times that amount just to get started in cycling. And you wouldn't recommend a complete newbie a carbon Colnago - or Ti - would you?

I recommend small (-ish) binoculars because they are the best way to start, newbies get befuddled by an actual telescope. Sorry if this is patronising! The astronomy forums are awash with gripes like 'I bought this telescope, I can't see anything in it, what am I doing wrong?' Of course, once you're ready for a telescope, if you ever go that way (and you don't have to go there - any more than a cyclist has to ever buy a high-end bike), the forums are a great place for good advice.

Why do I do it? Well it's been a lifelong thing, on and off, for me. I suppose I'm one of those who stand in awe and admiration of 'the last great wilderness' - the last place left untouched by human activity, which shall remain forever untouched. I speak of Deep Sky stuff of course, outside the Solar System - unlike the planets which we're already sending our spacecraft to... And where is there on Earth that we have not despoiled? ;)

col

Legendary Member
I tend to use my binos more than anything else i have now,or an 80 mm scope on a camera tripod,just for ease of use,and grabbing a quick look when there is a clear spot.Motivation comes and goes,but that happens in most things doesnt it?But the point is,when i do get the time,and clear spell,and the urge;) i enjoy it just as much as when i first gave it a try some years ago.

WJHall

Über Member
Advanced Excercise

Now that we are all agreed that it is Venus, and have followed it into daylight, we can move on to the advanced excercise: Finding it in daylight with the naked eye.

Tip: Place yourself in shadow, but where you can see the area of sky you want to search. (Best lying on the lawn in summer, but the impatient can start on the first clear winter day.);)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
GBB, if you get the chance to see it, with what has been talked about on the thread you may well like to see the last edition of The Sky at Night.

Pete

Dayvo said:
OT: interesting, Fnaar!
I've always wondered what those small squiggly lines were that I've had in my vision most of my life.
Sometimes I even get shapes like electricity pylons flying across my eyes. Now I know. And I won't be having an operation, thank you very much! :tongue:
Floaters are quite common and usually harmless, but you should go and see an optician regularly. Usually they will recommend no action (as in my case), but it is as well to have the situation monitored.

Top Bottom