Astronomical advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pete said:
Floaters are quite common and usually harmless, but you should go and see an optician regularly. Usually they will recommend no action (as in my case), but it is as well to have the situation monitored.

Thanks!
I had a thorough test eight years ago, and 'passed' with flying colours.
I have my eyes tested every year, but that's more of a 'sight' test, but I think you're right, and I should have the full works.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Arch said:
I have bins, but I don't think they're very good ones, so everything is a bit shakey/fuzzy. Or it might be my eyes...

Arch, for a quick and easy solution to shaking binoculars, try resting them on the "moppy" end of a mop with the pointy end resting on the lawn. It is not elegant, and if the mop is either much too short or much too long then it may not work, but it can yield a vastly improved image for no financial outlay.

Andrew

p.s. Make sure the mop is clean :tongue:

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Astronomy is something i know a little about and always wanted to get more involved with, but the cost of equipment and the light conditions in towns always put me off
Having said that in late sept i fulfilled one of my small ambitions by managing to find and observe the andromeda galaxy from the back garden with binoculars..pillows on grass, on my back, wrapped in a blanket arms supporting the 12x50 binoculars
it was one of those rare nights of low moisture and crystal clarity...once i found it-up- from second star at top LH corner of square it was easy to re-find the longer you look, the more my eyes become adjusted the more i saw having said that it is 'just' a misty patch through binoculars but its the magical content an island galaxy 2 million light years away whoose light left it while our ancestors were still in east africa ;)

on the road

Über Member
Pete said:
Not quite correct. Jupiter (not visible at this time of year) also becomes brighter than any star and appears white.
Not quite, Jupiter has a slightly yellowish appearance to it.

Anyone can do their own satellite pridictions, you just need to download the software. The two I use are STS Plus and Predict, you can download the latest orbital elements from CelesTrak or from NASA (space shuttle and ISS only).

Arch

Married to Night Train
cisamcgu said:
Arch, for a quick and easy solution to shaking binoculars, try resting them on the "moppy" end of a mop with the pointy end resting on the lawn. It is not elegant, and if the mop is either much too short or much too long then it may not work, but it can yield a vastly improved image for no financial outlay.

Andrew

p.s. Make sure the mop is clean :tongue:

LOL!

If only I owned a mop. Or a lawn... :ohmy:

And yes Pete, I HAVE tried focussing;). I fear they may not be great binoculars. I have no idea of their power...

When I was down at my sister's, before Oli was born, David took us out to Stockbridge Down and showed us Jupiter and its moons through his binoculars (this was before the 'scope arrived). Just seeing the moons of another planet was amazing.

I should resolve to go out and look at the night sky more. Perhaps I could combine it with my resolution to ride my recumbent trike more - pedal somewhere, lie back, and look up!

Pete

Gary Askwith said:
Having said that in late sept i fulfilled one of my small ambitions by managing to find and observe the andromeda galaxy from the back garden with binoculars..pillows on grass, on my back, wrapped in a blanket arms supporting the 12x50 binoculars
Well done there Gaz. You should be able to see Andromeda (M31) with naked eye if conditions are really good - I certainly can from France, and sometimes from UK. If you want a tougher challenge, but still reachable in binoculars, try for M33 the Triangulum galaxy. This I find easy from France (with bins) but very difficult from UK. It's in the same part of the sky, a bit below and to the left of M31, below the chain of stars that make up Andromeda. If you learn to pick up the stars of Triangulum (a rather elongated triangle), it's a bit above and to the right of the right-hand star.

And, beyond that, the only other galaxy feasible in bins, for observers in Europe, is Bode's galaxy, M81. This is not easy! Above and to the right of the Plough, you really need almost perfect dark skies. I have managed it in France - just! And don't expect to see any spiral structure in any of these, sorry, it needs a big telescope and/or photography. Look for fuzzy patches.

See here for a guide to the Messiers - a list of important galaxies, clusters and stuff. If you click on the constellation name rather than the M number you get a useful map.

Top Bottom