Asumptions you never really thought about...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
I had always assumed the Battle of Stamford Bridge was in the region of London, until Dan Snow told me otherwise this morning on UK History channel. Yorkshire, apparently.
[Nice little place on a sunny day, although from Leeds at my sedate pace it's rather more than a pootle. I hope Dan Snow pointed out its importance for us northern folk - if Harold hadn't had to march his knackered army straight back down to Sussex, they might not have lost to William of Normandy and his mercenaries.]

I assumed (until quite recently :blush:) that blood went from my heart, down my left arm, then back up and down my right arm. I hadn't given it a lot of thought, but it fitted all the known facts i.e. I knew how central heating was laid out and when I was running my left hand got warm long before my right.

asterix

Comrade Member
Never assume. It makes an ass out of you and me.

Someone had to say it. I just assumed they hadn't.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
As a child I assumed that the next tier of housing below castles and palaces was council housing and that it was the pinnacle of achievement if your family was lucky enough to get one.

vernon

I assumed (until quite recently :blush:) that blood went from my heart, down my left arm, then back up and down my right arm. I hadn't given it a lot of thought, but it fitted all the known facts i.e. I knew how central heating was laid out and when I was running my left hand got warm long before my right.

I assumed that one's blood pressure was different depending upon which side of the body it was measured on. When I casually mentioned that I had two different blood pressures to a consultant who was treating me for something unrelated to blood pressure, she poo poohed the notion but as a sop to my insistence measured it in my left arm then right arm then asked if she could bring in some colleagues and medical students and I was the centre of their attention for the next fifteen minutes while they put their stethoscopes in places that I'd never had a stethoscope placed before :eek:

Several subsequent non invasive investigations with X-rays, ultrasound and MRI scanning failed to get to the bottom of the 'problem' and my asymmetric blood pressure remains an unresolved but not unhealthy mystery.

vernon

I had assumed (?) that if someone was not telling lies, then perhaps they were telling the truth.
Apparently not. Some people can avoid telling lies, but are still not telling the truth.

Teflon Tony springs to mind.

It's not what is said but what is not said that make the difference.

Top Bottom