Asumptions you never really thought about...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like more'ish when you describe food. For some reason I always thought it was Moorish. Quite why desirable food should be described as Turkish when you wanted more was something I never consciously thought about until one day I actually sat and thought it through.

I always assumed Bognor Regis was in Scotland, it sounded vaguely Scottish.

What are yours?

colly

Re member eR
When I was small I really couldn't figure how they managed to play football in Switzerland. I imagined them forever chasing off down the side of a mountain to get the ball back. Assuming the whole country being either 'up' or 'down'.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Not so much an assumption, but I still get a terrible sense of unease when I see cows in fields right near the sea. It just seems wrong, somehow.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Like more'ish when you describe food. For some reason I always thought it was Moorish. Quite why desirable food should be described as Turkish when you wanted more was something I never consciously thought about until one day I actually sat and thought it through.

I always assumed Bognor Regis was in Scotland, it sounded vaguely Scottish.

What are yours?

I can burst another bubble for you Crax - the Moors come from N Africa not Turkey:thumbsup:

Maz

Guru
Not so much an assumption, but I still get a terrible sense of unease when I see cows in fields right near the sea. It just seems wrong, somehow.
Weird - I feel the same.
I also find it strange that it rains out in the middle of the sea, miles away from any land.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I used to think Turkeys came from Turkey... and that Santa Claus came down the chimney rather than being half-cut in Argos.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
assumptions are normally the mother of all f>>> ups

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I also find it strange that it rains out in the middle of the sea, miles away from any land.
I was once standing on the coastal path between Land's End and Sennen Cove and thinking exactly the same thing as I watched a huge black cloud dumping its load from an otherwise perfect blue sky.

The second thing I thought was that the cloud was moving towards me and my little step-sprog at a great rate of knots.

My third thought was that that the lightning bolts zapping the sea every couple of seconds were scary, but mighty spectacular.

Thought #4 was that my head was probably the highest object for miles around ...

... immediately followed by thought #5 - RUN!!! :eek:

We ran down the path into a little cove and took shelter as the storm blew over us and lightning peppered the path above, where we'd just been standing!

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
I was once standing on the coastal path between Land's End and Sennen Cove and thinking exactly the same thing as I watched a huge black cloud dumping its load from an otherwise perfect blue sky.

The second thing I thought was that the cloud was moving towards me and my little step-sprog at a great rate of knots.

My third thought was that that the lightning bolts zapping the sea every couple of seconds were scary, but mighty spectacular.

Thought #4 was that my head was probably the highest object for miles around ...

... immediately followed by thought #5 - RUN!!! :eek:

We ran down the path into a little cove and took shelter as the storm blew over us and lightning peppered the path above, where we'd just been standing!

COOL:highfive:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Once I knew that we were safe, I thought so too! My stepdaughter, however, was terrified and it took the promise of a large ice cream at Sennen Cove to calm her down ... ;) We had to stand around for 15 minutes or so before she believed me when i told her that the storm had blown over.

I experienced a similar freak storm on the hilltops in West Yorkshire once. It was a really hot mid-summer day and I was cycling with a mate, both of us clad in just light summer cycling kit. We saw a black storm cloud blowing our way and tried to ride away from it but it caught up and dumped a huge amount of freezing rain on us in a very short period of time. I had a reasonable level of body fat and could (just!) cope with it, but my skinny mate really felt the cold. He was shivering so hard afterwards that he could barely control his bike.

Top Bottom