At what age did you start getting slower?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Evening all,

I started cycling in my early 30s. Now at the tender age of 42 3/4 I'm still setting PB's for 10 and 25 mile rides. I'm guessing that dreadful day can't be far away when I can only get slower but still feel pretty strong. So when do I stop red lining it and think about my heart? Any doctors out there?

tyred

Legendary Member
I have to get faster before I can get slower...

Evening all,

I started cycling in my early 30s. Now at the tender age of 42 3/4 I'm still setting PB's for 10 and 25 mile rides. I'm guessing that dreadful day can't be far away when I can only get slower but still feel pretty strong. So when do I stop red lining it and think about my heart? Any doctors out there?

I regularly get my arse kicked in criteriums by riders in their early/mid 50s. One of the riders in the Welsh CX champs in December was in his 70s and still racing. You need to re-think your 'age' problem, because I suspect you have not reached anything like your maximum potential yet.

e-rider

crappy member
should be good until late 50s performance wise
heart failure can strike at any time/age but is of course more common later in life - see a GP if you are concerned
a simple blood test can determine if you are at increased risk

Technically you're already passed your best ^_^ , I'm 43 this year and there's no way I can ride as well as I used to in my 30s. But I started riding competitively back in my 20s.

Heck even Lance at 41 has seen better days.

But, you're still developing as a cyclist and so there's still plenty of time to get faster and stronger. I know plenty of riders who push it and place well in races well into their 50's.

Davidc

Guru
Difficult to be sure, I had to reduce my cycling and drop out of TTs when my family was young coupled with a job which wasn't training friendly, so in terms of peak speed and performance late 20s!

In terms of ability to do some training and get back to a good standard then late 40s, early 50s. The real performance destroyer was a heart attack at 56, but I still get out and enjoy riding - 100k is OK and I'll do a 100 miler again sometime, but neither is fast any more. That's in part a side effect of medications.

You seem to be concerned about your heart. Evidently if you have any worries about your body go and see the doctor. The advice I was given is specific to me! I was told after the heart attack that I'm alive and still able to do what I want because I was and had always been fit, and that I should now aim to do more, pushing myself to the limit. (btw the BHF advice is different, this is what I was told to do by the cardiologist).

Heart attacks aren't caused by exercise, they're caused when so-called plaques come off causing bleeding and clotting, blocking the artery. You can read how exercise helps reduce the chances of them happening and improves survival chances if they do happen on a number of good web sites. The NHS one or the BHF one are a good start.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know a club rider who could do a 10 mile tt in 23 mins at 65.........
And I was chatting to an old cyclist a couple of weeks ago who told me that he did a sub-4. 5 hour tt in his late 60s! I would be pretty chuffed to do that now, aged 56...

OP
OP
RoadBikeRecommendation
Good replies people. I'm not unduly worried, just got myself thinking the other day when I did my pb over 25 miles. In fact I'm probably enjoying pushing myself more than ever. Maybe it's a midlife crisis. A new bike should put paid to that ^_^

StuartG

slower but further
I'm 63 and my speed peaked long ago - but not my distance. I hope to be setting another PB next week. Not rushing has its advantages ^_^

OP
OP
RoadBikeRecommendation
I try my hand at a 10 mile time trial once a year organised by a local club. Did it this evening at average 20.8. .5 mph better than last year. At this rate I should get the call from Sky Pro Cycling some in 2035 :laugh:

Top Bottom