At what age does it become unusual to wave at cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I've just been out in the car at school kicking out time.

We're all familiar with small children waving at people in cars, or on trains or buses - usually they're small enough to be held whilst doing it, but it's not unusual for a 3 or 4 year old to do it either. Motorists and or passengers often wave back, and find it all very charming.

However, on my drive just now, there was a c.15 year old kid stood on a traffic island waving at cars as they passed, and my first impression was not "that's charming"

So, at what age does it pass from sweet and charming to unusual?

Don't know but I was driving on the A1 the other day and a policeman behind me was waving to me. Found it a bit odd so I drove faster and then he waved even more and whirled his lights in appreciation of my driving skills. I had to floor it to leave him behind.

He liked me so much he told all his friends at the court and invited me around next month which is very sweet of them.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've just been out in the car at school kicking out time.

We're all familiar with small children waving at people in cars, or on trains or buses - usually they're small enough to be held whilst doing it, but it's not unusual for a 3 or 4 year old to do it either. Motorists and or passengers often wave back, and find it all very charming.

However, on my drive just now, there was a c.15 year old kid stood on a traffic island waving at cars as they passed, and my first impression was not "that's charming"

So, at what age does it pass from sweet and charming to unusual?
Are you sure the 15 year old wasnt asking for help?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I used to see a kid fairly regularly, stood at his garden gate, waving like a loon to passing cars with a big grin on his face. I don't know what the P.C term for it would be, but it was clear that he was a bit special needs. When ever I was passing that way and spotted him waving I would wave back and pip my horn. He was happy, it also made me happy, just enjoying the innocent pleasure gained from interacting with strangers in a good way (@ianrauk can butt out of this one, he ain't getting a penny for the pot!). He was about 14 or 15 yrs old I guess but this reminds me, I don't think I have seen him for a while, perhaps he has grown up a bit, maybe even discovered girls! :eek:

Maybe your waver was just a bit behind his peers in the growing up stakes? Don't knock it, his enjoyment may have been entirely innocent. :hello:

U

User482

A driver sounded his horn at me last Saturday, when I was out on my bike. Grateful that he warned me of his presence, I waved at him in acknowledgement. Curiously, he responded by indicating that he had some coffee beans in his hand.

Sharky

Guru
Regardless of age, it almost seems compulsory when on the top deck of a ferry to wave to passengers on another ferry or boat passing in the other direction.

Slick

Guru
I don't think it's ever particularly weird. There was a group of boys probably a bit younger, all waving at me today from the back of a bus. I quite like a bit of a banter with just about anyone so returned a couple of thumbs up to them as I could easily keep up with them. When you think of what they could have been doing. :eek:

Top Bottom