At what age does it become unusual to wave at cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perplexed

Guru
I don't think it's ever particularly weird. There was a group of boys probably a bit younger, all waving at me today from the back of a bus. I quite like a bit of a banter with just about anyone so returned a couple of thumbs up to them as I could easily keep up with them. When you think of what they could have been doing. :eek:

Many, many years ago (must be a good 25 years) I was following a coach up the M6.

The occupants, so the banner across the top of the rear window proclaimed, were members of a female rugby club 'on tour'.

I cannot begin to tell you what about half a dozen of the said female rugby players 'waved' at me and pressed up against the glass for a considerable number of miles. Basically, they stripped off.

I felt no urge to overtake the coach.

spen666

Legendary Member
A driver sounded his horn at me last Saturday, when I was out on my bike. Grateful that he warned me of his presence, I waved at him in acknowledgement. Curiously, he responded by indicating that he had some coffee beans in his hand.

He was inviting you to join him for a coffee.

Blue

Legendary Member
Sometimes what seems unusual behaviour can simply be behaviour designed to spread a little happiness. A couple of days ago I was walking along a coastal path and overtook a father and son couple. The son was Down's syndrome and was carrying a wooden panel, which I thought was a little strange. On my way back I found myself meeting the same pair and the son still had the wooden panel under his arm. As I was about to draw level the son flicked the panel out and it had a big smiley on it. The action produced a big grin from me, which I presume was the purpose. Quite charming. ^_^

Loads of kids wave at me when I'm on my trike :smile:

I find the foreign language is an issue and trying to work out what they mean

Then there are the insults!!

Going through Bath Lane Rec in Fareham, and slowed as I came behind a group of teenagers. Rang the bell, and they parted.

As I passed there was a comment: "That guy has a collection of sick bikes" (I believe the translation is a positive comment)

Then ruined it by adding ....."for an old bloke"

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
What you mean you've stopped? 43 and I'm still at it.

Well, I'm constantly mistaking people for others. Embarrassing for the kids. Seven years ago I mistook an old boy from the village for someone else. Trouble is, I just couldn't stop waving could I? Seven years later I'm still waving at him while he comes back from the shop with the paper and I'm on my way to work.

I wish he would get a paper boy. My arm is knackered.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
They don't wave at anyone else, though. Miserable sods. You'd think have all the parts, up to and including body-shells, readily available would cheer you up, wouldn't it?
I got waved at by the owner of a rather beaten up and chuggy MG F earlier in the week when I was out in my ragtop land rover with all the sides rolled up. He pulled alongside at the lights, several cars short of the rest of the queue in his lane, had a good look at my vehicle then made that French chef finger kissing gesture that means sweet or perfect. I shall assume he was looking at the car and not me!

Top Bottom