At what age does someone become old and start wearing flat caps and a scarf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I started at about 6 months

1000003402.jpg

BTW about 12 or 13 years old I bought a Harris tweed flat cap for £8 at a point to point. It was very warm that winter when we lived for a month or so in a farm cottage near the river Ribble at Ribchester when it was a max temp of about minus 6 for about 2 or 3 weeks. Bitter cold. Did me well keeping snow out of my eyes after we got stuck walking in a big blizzard after we set off in cold but good weather then heading back it blew in and dumped about a foot of snow in just over an hour!

Flat caps are not just old people's headgear these days. I've seen high mens fashion places with them, costing more than my whole wardrobe too I reckon! It's a sign of age to think so! 😉

As for scarves, I had a school one, two different uni ones and a few other ones. I think they became a fashion item for the young at one point in my life. Possibly 90s or 80s.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There used to be a clog-maker not far from Todmorden, that exported all of its produce over the border into the 'badlands' (Lancashire)
Walkley Clogs in Mytholmroyd? They left the big old mill on the A646 years ago (which was empty for years and then mysteriously burned down... :whistle:) but the business is still running in smaller premises not far away.

presta

Guru
I think scarves are pretty much obsolete when most overcoats seem to have high collars now. I never saw the point of a V-neck overcoat.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Looking old

flat-cap-for-women.jpg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Had an undergraduate scarf at uni and later a graduate one but never wear one nowadays. Baseball hats mainly but our core business latterly was making woolly mainly bobble hats so could not appear in public with anything else.

bobzmyunkle

Two questions really isn't it?
At what age does one become old? Well I've put it off for a while, but I might have to succumb soon.
When I was a kid, old folk wore a grey/brown mac and a flat cap and walked with a stick.
They were probably younger than I am now.

At what age does one start wearing a flat cap and scarf? Never.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I asked our lass this very question at the weekend and she said I'll never be old enough to wear one. My old man has worn one as far back as I can remember.

Walkley Clogs in Mytholmroyd? They left the big old mill on the A646 years ago (which was empty for years and then mysteriously burned down... :whistle:) but the business is still running in smaller premises not far away.
Yes, it's a long time since l passed it, so couldn't rememeber which side of Mytholmroyd it was
Question; is the biker bar still on the outskirts of 'Tod', with the metal 'Alien'?

Scarfs; a 'Muffler' in Barnsley, i still have daughters old junior (or 'Prep School', as they termed themselves......) school scarf, it's primarily brown, as was most of the winter uniform (including a hat!!, & 'overcoat'!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom