At what age does someone become old and start wearing flat caps and a scarf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
At 63 I still have a full head of hair so no flat cap necessary. 😛

I'm 69, still got a full head of nearly black hair and I wear a cap when the weather conditions deem it necessary.
Oh.........I'll be 70 this year.
Did I ever tell you about...............?

I’m in my (very) late 50s, & only bought my first ever flat-cap in January, on Skipton market

This was primarily as l bought a waxed jacket (not a Barbour, mine was less than £45, with delivery)
It looked slightly odd with a woolly hat, so bought a brown waxed ‘f-c’ to match

IMG_8988.jpeg

I still have 2 ‘Aussie’ hats, both Akubras
(no…. there’s no bottle-tops or corks)
A ‘Snowy River’, & a ’Sombrero’
The latter being ‘bashed’ as it’s phrased, in the classic Les Hiddins shape

Last edited:
I’m in my (very) late 50s, & only bought my first ever flat-cap in January

This was primarily as l bought a waxed jacket (Hoggs, not a Barbour, as it was about £45)
It looked slightly odd with a woolly hat, so bought a brown waxed ‘f-c’ to match

View attachment 725103

I still have 2 ‘Aussie’ hats, both Akubras
(no…. there’s no bottle-tops or corks)
A ‘Snowy River’, & a ’Sombrero’
The latter being ‘bashed’ as it’s phrased, in the classic Les Hiddins shape

You could be a stuntman for Victor Meldrew.

Alex321

Veteran
At 65, don't do scarves, don't really do hats much, apart from the black straw hat I wear for Morris dancing.

I do wear a straw coloured one when on holiday in very sunny places, and of course I wear a helmet on the bike, sometimes with a cap under it to keep the sun/rain out of my eyes.

I can't honestly see myself ever going down the flat cap route. I may start wearing scarves if I start to feel the cold more when I get old.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have several flat caps to match whatever jacket etc I'm wearing, been a regular cap wearer since I was about 50 ish give or take. Hair is short and thinning, so its practical. Also wear specs so a cap keeps any rain of them, I cant abide umbrella's hence the cap route. Never wear scarfs.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've a couple of waxed bucket hats, one brown and one black, to match my waxed jackets, I need a green one as well though.

Baldy

Über Member
Well I'm 66, wear a floppy hat when it's sunny to keep my bald head from burning. When it's cold I wear a beanie hat. I might start wearing a flat cap when I'm old, as in about fifty years time, but only if I'm forced to. Don't do scarfs only really old buggers or Isadora Duncan use them.

Are clogs also a prerequisite for those north of Watford?

Are bowlers or boaters in summer for those south of Watford? Or should that be fake tans and that gawdawful estuary/eastender/Essex accent?

BTW someone I knew from down south reached 50s or older without ever visiting northern England. Been to Edinburgh but nowhere else north of Birmingham. She genuinely thought northern England was terraced houses with washing hung across the road between the windows. All because she saw terraced houses on corrie credits and photos of northern street that had washing like that.

We kind of let her off her prejudices because she was Cheltenham ladies college type, posh bint! :laugh: She never went there, being daughter of lower middle class, but she originally married a guy who made money in the city and got them into that set, plus daughter went there. A daughter who told stories like the time flying to New York in first class the stewardess refused to serve her champagne! She was 13 or 14 and that made her absolutely indignant that she was wronged. Entitled both her and her mum.

Top Bottom