At what point do you "publish" a vid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
I tend to post videos up if there is something that everybody can learnt from it, or the manoeuvre was particularly stupid. There are an awful lot of near misses where I go, "whoa, that was close!", that end up on the cutting room floor. Those near misses I do review personally as with any near miss there is always something that can be gained from it.

Gaining insight from near misses, is an invaluable tool in preventing accidents and collisions (Speaking broadly in a health and safety sense). Putting a near miss up on youtube, I feel you can educate other road users in particular hazards and how to overcome them. If another road user learns from this, then it is a small step towards general road safety.

emulsifier12

The only reason why I would buy and use a camera is in case the near miss became a hit and it could be used to identify a hit and run or be used to see who is at fault. I have seen a few of these videos on youtube and the cyclists seem to think that cars will always wait for them before pulling out. These cyclists with the helmet cams take no preventative action and think they own the road...

But using it it capture stupid motorist's moments and publish on youtube I would avoid. I would hate for some toe rag to google his reg, see a video of his terrible driving and take 'revenge' on cyclists...

I tend to err on the side of caution. When I ride and see a car wanting to pull out I take preventative action and prepare for them to pull out in front of me so that I am ready to avoid such 'close calls'. This comes from riding a motorcycle for 10 years and I got used to cars not seeing me, even with a headlight on. I try and think for drivers and myself when out riding.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Good post emulsifier - camera or no, we must all 'be prepared'.(Watch the wheels..!) As Martin mentioned, we had a brief chat about it at the weekend...it is 'evidence' if necessary - that's my point of view. There is only so much near miss stuff that has any benefit for the viewer...

Matthames

Über Member
emulsifier12 said:
I tend to err on the side of caution. When I ride and see a car wanting to pull out I take preventative action and prepare for them to pull out in front of me so that I am ready to avoid such 'close calls'. This comes from riding a motorcycle for 10 years and I got used to cars not seeing me, even with a headlight on. I try and think for drivers and myself when out riding.

Having ridden both myself, I find that I tend to take more risks on a bicycle than I do on a motorbike. Mainly due to the effort involved in regaining lost momentum. However, that is something I have noticed personally myself and may be a fault of mine.

My last motorbike I never had to worry about momentum as it could probably drop the majority of the fancy cars on the top gear test track leader board off the lights :tongue:

jimboalee

drsquirrel said:
Don't do anything else the Mafia will come for you!

Because not doing anything - fixes everything.

Then DON'T go up the Soho Road in Handsworth, Birmingham videoing all the chronic driving that happens.
I ride up there from time to time and I don't want a fist in my face because some C**t on a bike had 'diss'ed a friend of a friend.

If it happens. I will find you.:tongue:

Origamist

Legendary Member
emulsifier12 said:

Just my 2 pence worth.

Me too, but I also know that preventative action will not always be enough to avoid a collision - sometimes the best you can hope for is to mitigate the consequences of an impact.

If anyone feels I post too many videos, please feel free to let me know.......

(Magnatom makes his way down to the nuclear shelter....)

perplexed

Guru
BentMikey said:
If you feel like that about any of my vids, I'd prefer you to tell me.

magnatom said:
If anyone feels I post too many videos, please feel free to let me know.......

(Magnatom makes his way down to the nuclear shelter....)

We love BentMikey and Magnatom productions! Yours are both good quality, and the non-serious ones entertaining. :biggrin:

But some post videos of fairly innocuous stuff, and if they're reporting the same to the police on a constant basis, I think it undermines the serious stuff.

emulsifier12 said:
The only reason why I would buy and use a camera is in case the near miss became a hit and it could be used to identify a hit and run or be used to see who is at fault. I have seen a few of these videos on youtube and the cyclists seem to think that cars will always wait for them before pulling out. These cyclists with the helmet cams take no preventative action and think they own the road...

But using it it capture stupid motorist's moments and publish on youtube I would avoid. I would hate for some toe rag to google his reg, see a video of his terrible driving and take 'revenge' on cyclists...

I do use a helmet cam, and I do take preventative action thank you very much.

Please don't band us all into a group... along with the RJL group that we cyclists already apparently belong to...

Realistically people won't go out running over other people, as much as they might say they will. Even drivers that might try and intimidate you probably don't intend on hitting you (and if they did that might have been more of an accident due to unsafe driving rather than purposeful intent).

emulsifier12 said:

Do you slow down to nearly 0 when you are right on the junction? As they could still pull out at any moment... I assume you don't slow to a crawl? And if you slow down for every car that starts to slowly roll, it will just start inviting them to pull out too.

I think everyone that has any kind of sense (specially someone willing to use a camera) will be using caution with cars at junctions... yet you say no one here does.

BSRU

A Human Being
emulsifier12 said:
These cyclists with the helmet cams take no preventative action and think they own the road...

I do not understand this, why would anyone want to potentially crash into or be hit by a car, just because they have a camera. I am a cautions rider at junctions, not just from experience as a cyclist but from many years of a being advanced motorcyclist and bog standard car driver. I probably ride more cautious now I have a £300 camera stuck to my helmet, I do not want to break it and I would be a right pratt recording my own dangerous/illegal riding to post on the web.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
As i've said before, i delete a lot of the bad driving i witness, either because it's very minor and was probably just a simple mistake (we all make them) or because on camera it looks like nothing. I only post the stuff i think is dangerous towards me or others. I can't remember the last time i reported something to the police, this is mainly because i know it's hard for them to put a case together to get someone prosecuted or charged, and without it being really bad nothing is going to happen. No point waisting my own time let alone theres.

Most of my videos now are for campaigning purposes, me going fast or just funny things i see.

I do think my approach at first wasn't correct. And that wasn't for the camera, thats just the way i was. But i like to think i have changed now.

______

On a side note, i am seeing some more people with helmet cameras posting footage on youtube, riding in a reckless manor and swearing at car drivers for doing minor stuff. From my view, if your going to post stuff on youtube, you should be a respectable cyclist who obeys all traffic laws.

gaz said:
I do think my approach at first wasn't correct. And that wasn't for the camera, thats just the way i was. But i like to think i have changed now.

I totally agree with this. I've certainly changed because of using the camera. For the better I think (hope!). Having the camera and having people criticise my videos has been very positive for me and my cycling. I think it has helped others to.

However, youtuber beware!! Abuse is the norm, not the exception!:biggrin:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
magnatom said:
I totally agree with this. I've certainly changed because of using the camera. For the better I think (hope!). Having the camera and having people criticise my videos has been very positive for me and my cycling. I think it has helped others to.

However, youtuber beware!! Abuse is the norm, not the exception!:biggrin:

Thats one of the reasons why i got it. To become a safer cyclist. I get loads of feedback from other cyclists on how i could do differently in future and it really helps.

Top Bottom