At what point do you "publish" a vid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
He's excellent, isn't he? He has that simple coolness and presence of mind that I think most of us would love to have. I think even very few black cab drivers would have much luck getting the better of him verbally. He stopped me in the park the other day and said hello, I was well chuffed!!

martint235

Dog on a bike
magnatom said:
I totally agree with this. I've certainly changed because of using the camera. For the better I think (hope!). Having the camera and having people criticise my videos has been very positive for me and my cycling. I think it has helped others to.

However, youtuber beware!! Abuse is the norm, not the exception!:becool:

I agree. I may not have become a better cyclist but I've become a much calmer one since getting a camera. I don't feel the need to shout at drivers or chase them down anymore. I just smile knowingly. ;)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
jimboalee said:
Then DON'T go up the Soho Road in Handsworth, Birmingham videoing all the chronic driving that happens.
I ride up there from time to time and I don't want a fist in my face because some C**t on a bike had 'diss'ed a friend of a friend.

If it happens. I will find you.:becool:

How do you know you wont get tw*tted anyway, because some cyclist has been all shouty with Mr Pleb's girl?

I think you'd better start taking the bus, mate. You're worrying over nothing. ;)

[B said:
emulsifier12[/B]]
These cyclists with the helmet cams take no preventative action and think they own the road...
Eh? And on what evidence? I always cover the brakes as I pass junctions, but you'd never know this from the camera as its viewing out in front. Its very easy to be an armchair-cyclist after the event and make "suggestions".

The point should always be firmly in our minds that the person doing the wrong should be blamed, not the messenger or the victim. :biggrin:

I nearly forgot why I replied: Yeah my view is theres not a lot you can do about some drivers (or cyclists), keep filling out the stopSMIDSY forms, contribute to the "public record" as I call it on youtube if you want. You can also keep an archive of incidents and send videos to officials to demonstrate why certain areas are dangerous or that certain behaviours need tackling.

Its not just youtube, theres other stuff the camera is useful for.

emulsifier12

There is one intersection that I cross when I ride and I slow right down at this intersection as losing a bit of momentum is much better that losing myself in front of a car that has not seen me.

I guess I generalized against riders with helmet cams, Sorry, but not all cyclists with helmet cams seem to think they own the road, but a few of the videos on youtube that are discussed on CC show cyclists shouting and getting upset with drivers, esp the one where the guy hits the side of the van with his hand...

emulsifier12

One other thing. Putting up with idiot drivers and taking evasive and preventative action is par for the course if you want to be a cyclist, we won't change driving habits on this forum now will we?;)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
perplexed said:
We love BentMikey and Magnatom productions! Yours are both good quality, and the non-serious ones entertaining. :ohmy:

But some post videos of fairly innocuous stuff, and if they're reporting the same to the police on a constant basis, I think it undermines the serious stuff.
Ahem. :tongue:

I post for a variety of reasons but have only reported one incident (the bus running the red light). If I do have to report anything to Plod I'd be hoping that the evidence I have collated on YouTube shows that I'm not one for crying wolf and have only taken the worst to them to action - maybe this is niaive, who knows.

Some are just examples of the sorts of stupid things we cyclists have to put up with, and hopefully can be viewed by drivers and cyclists alike as a form of learning (different perspective / way of dealing with incidents).

Some amuse me.

Some are downright dangerous.

Some are just there to justify me having my camera ;)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
emulsifier12 said:
One other thing. Putting up with idiot drivers and taking evasive and preventative action is par for the course if you want to be a cyclist, we won't change driving habits on this forum now will we?;)

As part of the larger picture you should not have to put up with it. This is one of the points I make - the camera is a campaign tool if you so chose it to be. You're right, on here alone we wont change things, but reaching out to others in various ways we just might reach a few people.

Top Bottom