At what point to replace the tyre? Puncture woes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Two-Wheels

So I got done today. First time repair so go easy as never done it before :biggrin:

Tried repairing the puncture but turned out the patches I had required glue. I thought they were self adhesive. Guess what ... no glue.

No problem I thought - I've got a spare inner tube because I was thinking ahead. I'll use that.

Nope - that didn't work either. Right where the valve is, the inner tube seemed to bunch up is the only way I can describe it. At first I thought it was ok but then when I rotated the wheel & couldn't figure out why it kept jamming - I noticed it had pushed the tyre out right at the valve. Just couldn't get it tucked in.

So first of all - I'd welcome any tips there. Getting the inner tube seated in without nipping.

But as for the thread title:

20221002_101254.jpg

20221002_101335.jpg

Tyre is as old as the bike so maybe 3-4 years old. I can't remember when I bought it now.

According to Strava I've covered 3000 mile.

So question is from the photos, is the above still good to use or does it really need replacing?

Ajax Bay

Guru
(Edited) Gently inflate tube before installing. Once you have both beads on, push the valve up (ie into the tyre) and make sure both beads are seated right there. Pump about 10 goes, and then go round checking both rims. Inflate to required pressure.
As far as that 'gash' is concerned, there looks to be plenty of rubber on that tyre. So the risk is that the slit picks up another bit of cutting material which works its way through and then punctures the tube. 3000 miles is a pretty good distance/endurance for a rear tyre: front tyres (I find) last about 150% of a rear tyre mileage. So I'd replace relatively promptly, but would still ride it till I have procured the new tyre. You could patch the tyre internally but it would have minimal protective effect. If you do, comprehensive sanding of the area around the gash (inside) before patching with glue.
Get some glueless patches to carry around. You're only going to need them on second puncture (first dealt with by a tube swap) so the likelihood of needing them is low; so not worth carrying glue around (imho) unless long (ie 100 miles + ride).

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

Once you have both beads on, push the valve up (ie into the tyre) and make sure both beads are seated right there.

Thanks. I'll have another crack at it. Right now I've got a stack of jobs I need to tick off.

Any view on whether you'd continue with that tyre or not?

I don't really want to put it all back together again if the general consensus is ditch it, but if there's nowt wrong with it then that's fine.

vickster

Legendary Member
Before refitting the wheel and then pumping up, I always run round the rim with an old ice cream stick (magnum best :biggrin:) , so between rim and tyre to make sure no tube is trapped. Learnt to do this the hard way :rolleyes:
I’d replace that tyre given the puncture and mileage. What tyre is it?

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Depends on where Live -

London your out of luck..

Yorkshire only just worn in.

Seriously it does a bit depend on where you live. Granite flints would shred that tyre as would Hawthorne or glass.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

Before refitting the wheel and then pumping up, I always run round the rim with an old ice cream stick (magnum best :biggrin:) , so between rim and tyre to make sure no tube is trapped. Learnt to do this the hard way :rolleyes:
I’d replace that tyre given the puncture and mileage. What tyre is it?

Now you're asking questions. I'd have to go out to the shed & have a gander and I'm behind on a ton of work today so apologies, for now I'm just going to have to say -

whatever tyre came with the bike - a Trek FX2 Hybrid (2016 / 2017).

That tube has taken a hit before in another spot when I went down a country lane. Thinking I'd hit some thorns, once I got back to my mothers house & my brother sorted the wheel out, it turned out it was glass that'd done the damage.

Funnily enough (well actually wasn't funny but you get me) - this puncture was picked up in roughly the same location. I was only 1-2mins walk from my mothers house this time unlike about 10-15mins last time.

Depends on where Live -

London your out of luck..

Yorkshire only just worn in.

Seriously it does a bit depend on where you live. Granite flints would shed that tyre as would Hawthorne or glass.

Not a million miles off actually :biggrin: Lancashire.

Over a couple of weekends have done a fair bit of canal path cycling. Not sure the distance. Maybe 15 mile doubled up to 30, 10 doubled up to 20. Something like that. Wonder if it contributed as it was pretty rough in parts or whether it was just one of them things.

Came off a roundabout, was going past some hedges but didn't really see any clippings today & then just out of the blue heard the great gush of air.

Joy!

Last time I got a puncture it wasn't half as loud. I had to listen carefully as I wasn't 100% sure if it was punctured. No doubting it today though. That one was pretty loud.

vickster

Legendary Member
Now you're asking questions. I'd have to go out to the shed & have a gander and I'm behind on a ton of work today so apologies, for now I'm just going to have to say -

whatever tyre came with the bike - a Trek FX2 Hybrid (2016 / 2017).

That tube has taken a hit before in another spot when I went down a country lane. Thinking I'd hit some thorns, once I got back to my mothers house & my brother sorted the wheel out, it turned out it was glass that'd done the damage.

Funnily enough (well actually wasn't funny but you get me) - this puncture was picked up in roughly the same location. I was only 1-2mins walk from my mothers house this time unlike about 10-15mins last time.

Not a million miles off actually :biggrin: Lancashire.

Over a couple of weekends have done a fair bit of canal path cycling. Not sure the distance. Maybe 15 mile doubled up to 30, 10 doubled up to 20. Something like that. Wonder if it contributed as it was pretty rough in parts or whether it was just one of them things.

Came off a roundabout, was going past some hedges but didn't really see any clippings today & then just out of the blue heard the great gush of air.

Joy!

Last time I got a puncture it wasn't half as loud. I had to listen carefully as I wasn't 100% sure if it was punctured. No doubting it today though. That one was pretty loud.

probably some sort of Bontrager job

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

probably some sort of Bontrager job

Aye that's the one. I'm going to dip over in to the other forum to ask for a recommendation on tyres anyhow.

My gut feeling was replace it. I wasn't to keen on keeping on with it with the gash in it being that big. Knowing my luck it'd probably unravel as I'm trying to go top notch down some bumpy decline & that'll be the end of me (no, honestly, that's entirely my luck!) so better play safe.

Top Bottom